Football glad to be home

Oh the joy of being home.

It has been a trying, yet productive three weeks on the road for the Falcons (3-2, 1-1), but finally they are home this weekend as Ball State (1-5, 1-2) comes to town for homecoming.

“It’s nice to have a home game. Is this Doyt Perry (Stadium)?,” said BG head coach Gregg Brandon, looking out on to the field. “It’s a nice looking field. It should be in good shape, it’s had a month to grow.”

While the field is ready to have some football played on it, the team itself is riding high after two consecutive victories over Temple and Central Michigan, coming to score 108 points in those contests.

The Falcon passing game has taken off as quarterback Omar Jacobs has thrown eight touchdowns the last two weeks and was named Mid-American Conference Player of the Week after the CMU game.

“(Jacobs) is throwing with a great completion percentage, he’s taking care of the football (and) not turning it over. The thing that I like about him that I see every week is he’s maturing as a leader,” Brandon said.

The Cardinals are going through a rebuilding process and lack experience at major positions. Starting quarterback Cole Stinson and running back Adell Givens are both true freshman with bright futures.

“The young players (Ball State) is playing, their quarterback, is a talented player,” Brandon said. “He’s a big, strong kid. He’s got a great arm. And the running back is elusive.”

The Falcon defense has never seen Stinson or Givens up close, but they are doing what they can to be ready.

“We’ve got some film on them,” said linebacker Jovon Burkes. “We’ve got to prepare for them just like any other team. We can’t underestimate no one.”

Ball State is led on defense by strong safety Justin Beriault, who led the team last year in tackles and is first this year with 70. Beriault was an All-MAC First-Team selection in 2003 and has started 40 games in his career.

BG does not want to overlook a young, struggling team like Ball State. Brandon spoke with his players and continued to stress the importance of bringing their top game.

“We need to prepare for Ball State just like we prepare for any MAC West team. We gotta get after these people from the opening kickoff and that’s what I tell my team every week,” he said.

Jacobs said, “Each week we take it one step at a time. You can’t overlook any team.”

Brandon is expecting a packed house for the homecoming game and hopes it is something his seniors never forget.

“I really hope this is the greatest homecoming experience that they will have been through and when the fans show up and support us and we play well, it all kind of ties in together,” Brandon said.