CMU offense pose tough test

Bouncing back against Temple after a disasterous game at Northern Illinois, the Falcon defense faces a tough offense this weekend.

Heading back out on the road for the third straight week to play Central Michigan (2-2, 1-0 in conference), the major task at hand for BG (2-2, 0-1) will once again be to stop the run.

Chippewas halfback Jerry Seymour, first in the Mid-American Conference averaging 101.8 rushing yards a game, is a quick runner who can go the distance.

“I think Seymour is a fabulous back,” said BG head coach Gregg Brandon.

Seymour reminds Brandon of NIU running back Garrett Wolfe, who torched the Falcons for 202 yards two weeks ago, as he stands a mere 5’6″ and weighs 190 pounds.

“(Seymour) might be better (than Wolfe) and we didn’t tackle him,” Brandon said. “We need to get around (Seymour) and swarm him.”

CMU’s running game starts with their offensive line, which returns four starters from last season and totals 105 career starts as a unit. Senior left tackle Adam Kieft was a second team All-MAC selection last year.

After facing the Chippewas a year ago, the Falcon defense is fully aware of the challenge that awaits them up front and ranks their O-line among the best.

“Their offensive line is one of the better offensive line’s,” said defensive end Devon Parks. “Personally, I wouldn’t say they rival with Oklahoma, but they’re up there.”

Junior Kent Smith, holding 687 passing yards and four touchdowns, has taken over the role as quarterback for CMU from senior Grant Arnoldink. Smith’s 49.1 completion percentage shows he is adjusting to the system and trying to get comfortable in games.

BG needs to pressure Smith and prevent him from getting in the flow of the game.

“We need to force them to throw the ball (early),” said Brandon. “Smith is still learning his passing game and we need to force him to learn it another week.”

On the season, the Falcons have recorded just three sacks and have not been in the backfield as much as they would like.

“Our pass rush is nowhere near where it should be right now,” Parks said.