Sports Brief for Monday, October 18, 2004

Soccer loses after early lead

The Bowling Green Men’s soccer team lost 5-1 to the Kentucky Wildcats in their only game this weekend.

Friday night the visiting Falcons jumped out with an early lead just five minutes into the game but could not sustain.

Freshman forward Jordan Koblens recorded BG’s only score, his third of the season.

Kentucky was able to tie the game up at one, but the Falcons maintained control of most of the first half.

With the momentum displayed by BG, it seemed like maybe they could pull this one off.

What cost them in this and past games has been their lack of ability to extend and assure a lead.

After the locked-score halftime, it was all Kentucky the rest of the game.

Kentucky’s Jamal Shteiwi scored three times and recorded his first hat trick of the season.

He earned his second goal on a penalty kick that was a result of a BG red card.

The Wildcats viscously attacked the Falcon’s D and piled on four goals in the first 20 minutes of the half, cruising to a 5-1 victory.

With the loss Bowling Green remains winless on the season at 0-15 (0-4 in the MAC).

Still in the hunt for their first win, the team will head to Western Michigan this Friday.