Fast held for Ramadan, Red Cross

No food, no water — not even coffee until the sun sets.

For one day, the Muslim Student Association challenges University students to join them during Ramadan to fast in order to raise money for the Red Cross.

Local businesses and University departments will help raise money for victims of Tropical Storm Jeanne as well as Hurricanes Ivan and Frances, and will sponsor students involved. For every individual who fasts, sponsors will pledge money to go to the charity.

Students can sign up for the Fast-a-thon in the Union oval through Oct. 29. The event begins Nov. 1 as participants wake up, and ends at sunset in the Union ballroom. The MSA is hosting a dinner to celebrate the day and unite everyone involved.

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar and begins with the sighting of the new crescent moon. For Muslims, it is the holiest month of the year , with fasting for the entire month — which started Oct. 15. From sunrise to sunset Muslims abstain from food and drink and break each day’s fast with prayer, the Iftar — a special breaking of the fast.

For many, it is time to strengthen family and community ties.

“Ramadan is such a bonding experience,” said Sally Kaloti, President of MSA. “We want to bring BGSU together to build unity and make memories.”

Kaloti said it is a time for inner reflection, devotion to God, and self-control. Fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and empathizing with the starving people of the world.

“Muslims think of it as a kind of ‘boot-camp’ for their spiritual lives,” she said. “With the hope that this training will last beyond Ramadan and we learn to appreciate and be thankful for our lifestyle.”

Ramadan is a time of intensive worship, giving charity, purification of behavior, and just doing good deeds.

“It’s an opportunity to gain by giving up, to prosper by going without and to grow stronger by enduring weakness,” Kaloti said.

Hala Al-Jiboury, the president of MSA last year, hopes that the Fast-a-thon will help people understand an important part of being Muslim.

“BGSU can incorporate diversity and help people understand Muslim practice,” she said. “We want everyone to know and learn what it means to fast — and hopefully it makes you a better person just by learning it and feeling it.”

The MSA hopes to unite 500 people to take their part in the cause and join them for dinner at sunset Nov. 1. Anyone can sign up to participate, but must do so before the event. Participants will receive a ticket for the dinner that will break the day’s fast, share a cultural experience and raise money for charity. Members of MSA will be in the Union oval this week today, Wednesday, and Friday from11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., and every day next week to sign-up students to participate.