Tour targets unlikely voters

Last night, in front of a sold out audience, Michael Moore vowed he would pay for the U-haul that will move President Bush out of the White House.

Moore, who created films such as “Fahrenheit 9/11” and “Bowling for Columbine,” was at the Seagate Center in Toledo, making it his 45th stop on a 60-city tour.

“We are here to invite those of you who have not voted in the past to give voting a try just this once,” Moore said. “You hold the power in your hands. You are the largest majority of this country — the non-voting party — you can throw George Bush out of the White House.”

Throughout his tour, dubbed the Slacker Uprising Tour 2004, Moore has rarely arrived alone and last night was no different.

The speakers’ list included Gloria Steinem, a Toledo native and creator of Ms. Magazine, Roseanne Barr, from the sitcom Roseanne and Tom Morello, currently the guitarist of Audio Slave and formally of Rage Against the Machine.

“We are hoping for a great [voter] turnout and I think we are going to have a great turnout — maybe the largest in our lifetime,” Moore said.

As Moore took the stage, he had no problem lining up and knocking down America’s current administration, charging that although Bush warns the American people that we will no longer be safe when Kerry in the office, over 3,000 people have died during Bush’s presidency. He also talked about flip-flopping and Swift Boat Veterans for Truth as well as many other election issues.

But he said he wanted to focus on one voice that has not been heard in this election, the voices of the soldiers in Iraq.

His new book, “Will They Ever Trust Us Again,” is composed of letters from soldiers in Iraq, detailing their experiences and views on the war.

“Give it to the Republican in your family,” Moore said. “There is no commentary from me, so they can’t complain — tell them to just listen.”

He also invited the soldier who refused to go back to Iraq, Abdul Henderson.

Henderson was in “Fahrenheit 9/11.”

“The president lied to me, he lied to you and he lied to the world,” Henderson said. “It’s time he was held accountable.”

Moore also challenged the media to lead the way in finding the truth for American people.

“You have the public trust,” he said as he addressed the media. “You go to places of power we can’t go. So ask the hard questions and demand the answers.”

He said he believes more people wouldn’t have initially backed the War in Iraq if they had known the facts.

At the press conference, Moore said his speaker’s list was representative of America — people who are black, people who are white and both men and women.

His invited speakers used their time to do what they do best. Barr used her sarcastic sense of humor to pose as an uneducated Bush fan and Morello sang three politically charged songs.

“George Bush and the Republicans are not afraid of Michael Moore,” Morello said to the audience. “They are afraid of you.”