BG Volleyball bullies CMU, 3-0

Last night’s opening game between the Bowling Green State and Central Michigan volleyball teams at Anderson Arena was representative of two heavyweights slugging away, with neither willing to take a backward step or bend at the other’s demand.

Unfortunately, the Falcons’ resiliency and balanced attack were two combinations CMU was unable to withstand the 32-30 defeat.

“We’d seen Central on film twice and they fought hard all the way to the end in both games, so we knew they weren’t going to quit,” head coach Denise Van De Walle said after the game.

“What’s impressive to me is we didn’t fold when they took the first lead of the match (at 21-20),” she said. “We just were steady, some people step up big for us and it was a big win.”

BGSU’s (12-7, 5-2) momentum carried over as they took games two and three 30-27 and 30-22, respectively, to capture their third sweep of the season.

Senior Taylor Twite, who lead the Falcons with a game-high 15 kills to go along with a .323 hitting percentage, said the team played how they needed to in order to win.

“I think we could have played better, but in game three we started to play our game,” she said. “I think we go complacent at times, we would get a lead and then relax … but it gives something to work on for Sunday’s game.”

The Chippewas (4-14) came into the match can in with a 1-6 record in the Mid-American Conference, but Van De Walle said they are better than the record indicates.

“What people don’t understand is it all depends on who you open up with,” she said. “That really dictates early confidence in a season … If you open up against three powerhouses in the conference then you’re going to be 0-3 and that creeps into the confidence.”

Stephanie Swiger and Emily Manser each chipped with nine kills apiece for the Falcons, while Maggie Karges poured in eight kills and a game-high 19 defensive digs.

Amber Mareski contributed a game-high 45 set assists in the win and Chrissy Gothke added 18 digs.

Van De Walle said the team’s confidence is beginning to peak heading into Sunday’s 2 p.m. showdown at Anderson Arena against Ohio, who is 13-2 and 5-0 in the MAC East Division.

“We’re looking to play a very good team,” Van De Walle said of the Bobcats. “We know that and there record speaks for itself.

“I think they’ve only lost one set out of a match … they are an all-around good team,” she said. “We expect for it to be a hard fought match, because we’re pretty good as well.”