Nuisance laws are a slap in the face

It is now official, due to the new nuisance law it makes it nearly impossible for students to have a descent party.

The police are bringing the hammer down, and it’s coming down hard. The age old tradition of party’s at Bowling Green is coming to an end, and it is a sad one.

The overall vagueness of this new law gives the Gestapo nearly any reason they want to come and break up your party.

Reasons ranging from public indecency, unlawfully loud noise, or any other conduct or condition that threatens injury, inconvenience, or alarms to person or damage to property. Which in English means if you having a party and it seems everyone is having a good time, chances are it will be stopped abruptly some point during the night.

I’d like to look at a few other situations concerning this new law.

First off I’d like to discuss why this law is even here, because there is no reason. Newton’s law states for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction. My question is what is the action that caused this? Why now and not years ago?

Because I am pretty sure that partying in Bowling Green is not just a new thing.

Last Tuesday I attended the meeting about the nuisance law, and instead of finding answers, I was only more confused.

When asked what their overall goals were and why this law is taking place now as opposed to years ago, I got a very vague response. In response to my question they said, their goal was to bring landlords and tenants together.

How nice of the police department to take it upon themselves to bring tenants and landlords together so we can get together and have a nice tea party together.

Bringing landlords and tenants together isn’t going to solve any problems.

If anything it is going to just cause more friction between them. Landlords for the most part don’t care if we have parties as long as we don’t destroy their homes. And for the most part we don’t.

All they care about is getting their money on time. If they did care, they would have given me some new windows. Instead I froze my ass off.

I could understand if their goals were to build a more cohesive community, or something along the lines of that.

And from my standpoint it is not the police departments job to get involved in situations between landlords or tenants unless it is a violent situation.

There was no real reason or no particular incident that made this law come into play now as opposed to a few years ago.

One of the councilman at the meeting said, “The problems Bowling Green faces are not unique to only Bowling Green. They’re in every college town, and we have been looking at other schools like OU and Miami, they had looked into this, and decided this was an appropriate decision for them.”

They are basing and judging our community on the ways other schools handle their problems. We are not OU or Miami. We are BG, completely independent and different from these schools in a lot of ways and in my opinion these schools are a lot bigger partying schools than Bowling Green.

The city council should have enough sense to realize this, but instead of coming up with their own and more unique solution, they go and steal other schools ideas because it is a lot easier than coming up with a more appropriate law.

Another factor not considered is that if it was not for the students and this University, this town would be just another hole in the wall.

By having a University in the city, it brings in new companies, and business every year. Which in turn means more jobs for the people that have lived here for decades and make their life here.

By having a University here it brings in hundreds of thousands dollars every year to the community.

The city should respect what this University has done for them.

We are just as much as a part of this community as the people who have lived here for thirty years, but one would not be able to tell by the way they treat the students. It is as if we are second class citizens.

Partying is just as much as a part of college as the studying. We the students have to get involved and voice our opinions. Go to the council meetings, write letters, and use your voice, because if we don’t, I fear nothing will change.