City extends move out deadline

USG and off-campus students proved that when they come together they can make their voices heard. They made progress in their fight regarding zoning laws that state no more than three unrelated adults may occupy a residency in R-1 and R-2 zones.

This fall, 37 students were cited by the City for violating zoning laws. They were originally given until Dec. 31 to find new housing. However, it was announced on Monday at the City Council meeting that the deadline for prosecuting tenants will be moved to May 15, 2005.

“I’m really appreciative that the city granted this extension,” said USG president Alex Wright. “I couldn’t be happier with the city’s decision to allow students to comply and work with the students.”

Mayor John Quinn supports his and the city’s decision.

“I think it is fair,” said Quinn. “I think that there were a lot of people that knew that they were in violation of the law, while there were some that did not, so I think that it is fair.”

Since off-campus students were first cited in September, USG has been working to at least get an extension for them to find new housing.

They invited Mayor John Quinn to speak at a meeting. Over 300 students attended to voice their concern.

“If the students would have been silent about this, nothing would have been changed,” said Wright. “When 300 students showed up to a USG meeting and showed the city they weren’t happy about this, they [the city] listened.”

Mayor Quinn acknowledges that students played a role in his decision. However, he said since the problem arose the city was looking for a fair solution.

“It certainly didn’t hurt that students voiced their opinion, but I think all along we were looking at a solution that would be fair to as many people as possible,” said Quinn.

While a decision was made that pleased the city and students, the law will still remain the same. No houses in R-1 and R-2 zones are allowed to have more than three unrelated people living in them.

After May 15, those in violation will be given a 30 day notice. If they are not in compliance after 30 days, they will be cited. After July 31, those who are found in violation will be cited immediately and fined $500 per day until they are in compliance.

USG plans to continue to work with the city to change the law so that it is more accommodating to students.

“We are going to look to see if we can change the law a little bit, but not radically,” said Wright.

Mayor Quinn said that he does not foresee changing the law. He said that when the houses were built in the Bentwood Subdivision, they were intended to be single family homes.

“Just because they aren’t being used for that doesn’t mean that wasn’t the intention of the community.”

Many non-student community members were unhappy with the mayor’s decision. They have voiced concerns in the past saying that over-occupancy leads to partying and noise.

In response to their disapproval Mayor Quinn said, “I think that in time everybody will come to accept this solution. Even the people that feel that I am being too generous will come to feel that we are moving toward a long term solution.”

While USG and the city have been working towards a solution, the Office of Student Life has plans to do a better job of informing students about zoning laws. In their recent newsletter they discuss the laws.

They are also planning a roundtable for landlords, USG, student legal services and representatives from the city to discuss the issue. They also have compiled a list with open vacancies to help students find new homes.

The Office says that they have not informed students in the past of the zoning laws because it did not seem to be an issue, but now that it is they will do what they can.

“I think that we need to get it out there,” said Georgia Folkins, Coordinator in the Office of Student Life for off-campus students. “We are in the process of educating them every way that we can. My goal is to be sure that students find appropriate housing, legally.”

The city will continue to work closely with the University to better inform students. Meanwhile there will continue to be investigations of properties that are over-occupied.

Students found to be living in these properties will be sent a letter detailing the May 15 deadline and will be expected to move by then.