Women’s soccerfaces MAC opponent

The BG women’s soccer team will take to the road this weekend to face more Mid-American Conference opposition. Friday, the squad will play Central Michigan before wrapping up the weekend with a match against defending regular season MAC champion Eastern Michigan.

The Falcons, with a 1-6-1 overall record, are 0-1-1 thus far in MAC play after losing to the University of Ohio and tying Marshall last weekend. The tie against Marshall snapped a six game losing streak marked by little or no scoring by the Falcons. BG’s record is somewhat deceiving, however, as they have exhibited strong play against stiff competition.

“Although our results are not good, our performances our very encouraging,” head coach Andy Richards said.

Richards said the team is continuing to work hard on their strengths as well as areas that need improvement, adding that the team’s positive attitudes remains intact and there are no problems behind the scenes.

“[The team] is very positive. They are working hard and showing great team spirit,” Richards said.

With a healthy squad heading into the weekend, the Falcons should be able to put their best foot forward against two tough conference teams.

“We know [Central and Eastern] are both very good teams,” said Richards. “We have always had good games against them. Both provide us with stiff opposition.

Eastern Michigan has a 4-2-2 overall record and is 1-1-1 in the MAC. They are coming off of a 2-1 loss to Kent State last weekend. Central Michigan is also 1-1-1 in the conference and 3-4-1 overall. The Chippewa’s saw a four game winning streak come to an end last weekend after falling to Buffalo 3-0 on Sunday.

BG is hoping to see their positivity and hard work pay off this weekend with a pair of much needed wins against conference competition. Richards plans to stick to the same game plan, making minor adjustments where necessary.

“We are very focused on starting to win some games,” Richards said.