Voters’ faith plays major role

I was watching the news the other day and the topic of politics and religion came up – in specific, how it will influence the upcoming elections.

This debate brought up a very good topic. Should a person’s faith affect how he or she votes? Lets take a look and see.

There are two major tensions to this debate.

One side of the spectrum says that personal faith and beliefs should not affect how an individual votes. Even though someone does not personally agree with how people live their lives they have the right to do what they want.

The other side of the spectrum says that personal faith and beliefs should affect how an individual votes. People who vote with personal faith convictions believe that there should be a standard set and those lines should not be crossed.

It is argued that when people’s faith affects how they vote, they are in essence forcing their religious beliefs on society.

In my opinion this is not what is happening.

If a person believes whole-heartedly in the sanctity of marriage, life begins at conception, prayer in schools, or any other topic related to values, then he or she is going to vote for legislators who have those same kind of beliefs or values.

They are voting what they think is right.

Just as a person who believes that marriage is between two consenting adults, a woman has the right to choose what to do with her body, prayer has no place in schools or any other topic related to values, then he or she is going to vote for legislators who have likewise beliefs or values.

So if people of faith are going to be accused of forcing their religion on society, so do the people who do not have an official religion. They are forcing their personal views and belief systems onto society.

Faith is a belief system. So whether that belief is in God, yourself or some other entity, you are going to vote what you believe is correct.

All of us have personal beliefs, and they do affect how we vote. Because a person has a belief in God and those beliefs affect how he or she votes, that person is not forcing his or her religion on society.

When we vote, we believe that the people who are put into office will help make society a better place and an environment that we would want.

Voting for legislators who will make laws that you do not think are morally correct does not work. Because they are going to make society a place where you do not want to live.

For example voting for legislators who agree with abortion and a woman’s right to choose. When you yourself would do not agree with abortion, nor would ever have one.

But you go ahead and vote for a legislator who agrees with abortion because you do not want to force your religion onto other people or society.

If you do not agree with abortion and believe that it does not make society better, why vote for politicians who will put laws in place to uphold it?

No matter what your belief system is, get out and vote. Put the people into office who will best represent you and what you believe will make society a better place to live and function.

Voting is a given right here in the United States that many of us take for granted. You may not think that your vote makes any difference at all but it does.

E-mail Brad with comments at [email protected].