Falcons take modest ninth at Stanford Invitational Saturday

The BGSU men’s cross country team finished in a modest-like ninth place finish at the Stanford Invitational on Saturday.

They competed with some of the best teams in the western part of the country and held their own.

But unlike most teams that finished in front of the Falcons this weekend, the brown and orange didn’t include one senior in its lineup.

“The fact that they are all underclassmen is very exciting,” said coach Cami Wells. “Now we just need to keep working hard and continuing to bring in recruits that can help us out.”

The host Cardinals tied Oregon for honors with 45 points. UCLA registered 49 points for third place and Division II power Chico State claimed a fourth place result.

Leading the charge once again for BGSU was sophomore Rogers Kipchumba, who finised 31st in 12:43.

The race was only 4K as opposed to 8K that the Falcons are accustomed to.

Next in line for the Falcons was Edwin Cheriuyot. The sophomore finished in 13:06, good enough for 47th place. Cheriuyot, the team’s No. 2 runner usually is closer to fellow countryman Kipchumba, but an illness caught on the west coast left him at less than 100 percent.

“Edwin was not feeling well Friday, but felt well enough to race Saturday,” Wells said, “He was still feeling some effects from his illness, and that hindered his performance a bit.”

Junior Bryan Jackson (68th), freshman Steve Ferber (70th) and junior Steve Vairetta (72nd) rounded out the scoring for the Falcons. Another underclassman, freshman Ryan Rohrer crossed the finish line in 80th position.

The youthful BGSU roster surely doesn’t act their age according to Wells.

“They are much closer and work much harder than they have in the past,” Wells continued. “There is a sense of unity we haven’t had in a few years.”

The Falcons will now switch gears in preparation for the All-Ohio Championships on Oct. 8 in Delaware, Ohio.

“We are going to do some more speed work as the season progresses,” Wells said, “I am happy that we have two weeks to get some good, solid training in before the All-Ohio meet.”