Bush’s foreign policy is strong

President Bush’s foreign policy has received scrutiny.

It’s often depicted by opponents as a failure because of the failure to get weapons of mass destruction and the emergency of an insurrection in Iraq fuelled by ethnic nationalism and pockets of terrorists operating in the country. Adding credence to this position also is the failure to capture Bin Laden and the Al-Qaeda terrorist network as well as the reluctance of the international community to contribute troops to the war front.

Traditional allies such as France have campaigned against the involvement of NATO and UN support in these war missions.

The president’s opponents have systematically managed to portray him as a person who lacks the proper grasp of foreign policy and an antagonist who has isolated the country from its allies.

A closer look shows that Bush has led a successful foreign policy which has been clouded by the unpredictable crisis in Iraq. US forces successfully toppled the notorious pro-Al-Qaeda Taliban regime in Afghanistan and installed a more open and pro-democracy regime.

Although the country is experiencing incursions by the weakened Taliban remnants, Afghanistan is largely stable and has held democratic elections that have inspired the world that soon the country will have great democratic institutions that would propel the country to prosperity. This move has disorganized the international terrorist network, particularly rendering Al-Qaeda barely alive.

His approach to foreign policy has pushed Israel to declare a unilateral pullout from the Gaza strip; Sudan has made peace with its long-standing foe, the SPLA (Sudan Peoples Liberation Army) and the declaration of the Darfur crisis as genocide has sent a tough message to Sudan.

Somalia has inaugurated its transitional government; Charles Taylor, a dictator who ruled Liberia, relinquished power; and former Haitian president, Aristite Baristite surrendered power after he failed to stabilize the country.

These nations are now experiencing or have hope for peace in the future, a credit to Bush’s resolute foreign approach.

It is also important to note that President Bush has garnered a formidable coalition force such as Britain, Italy, Japan and Germany in the war in Iraq contrary to the belief of many people here at home.

Although dogged by many obstacles, the war in Iraq seems to be headed to the right direction as evidenced by the transfer of power and the peace agreement with Al-Sadr.

The renouncing of a plan to produce WMDs by Muhammar Guaddafi, the leader of Libya, maybe as a result of Iraq, consequently signifying that anti-USA forces in the region may give up in the long run.