Clemens dominates Reds as Astros take another, 5-2

With two World Series rings and plenty of postseason experience over his 21-year career, Roger Clemens knows a lot about winning.But the Houston Astros’ furious push for the playoffs has left even The Rocket at a loss for a comparison.Clemens got his 326th win to tie Eddie Plank for 11th on the career list, and the Astros hit four first-inning home runs to beat the Cincinnati Reds 5-2 yesterday and tie a team record with their 12th straight win.”I’ve been on clubs throughout my career who’ve won quite a few in a row,” Clemens said, “but I don’t know if it’s ever been like this.”Jeff Bagwell, Lance Berkman, Craig Biggio and Mike Lamb homered in the first off Jose Acevedo (5-11), sending Houston on its longest winning streak since taking 12 in a row from Sept. 3-14, 1999.Houston has won 20 of 23 since Aug. 15 for the best record in the major leagues over that stretch.”We’re on a nice roll right now,” Bagwell said. “It’s kind of been amazing to me, all the home runs we’re hitting. I’ve never seen it quite like this.”The Astros, who began the day a half-game behind the Chicago Cubs in the NL wild-card race, tied Tampa Bay (June 9-22) for the longest win streak in the major leagues this season. Cincinnati continued its late-season swoon, losing for the 10th time in 12 gamesClemens (16-4) won his fourth straight start, allowing four hits in seven innings. He gave up his only run in the first on Sean Casey’s sacrifice fly, and Cincinnati managed only three singles over Clemens’ next six innings. The Rocket finished with six strikeouts and two walks.”Give credit to the hitters. They’ve come alive and made it … easier for the pitchers,” Clemens said.Chad Qualls, Mike Gallo and Russ Springer pitched in the eighth, with D’Angelo Jimenez hitting an RBI single off Springer, and Brad Lidge got three outs for his 21st save in 24 chances. With runners at the corners and two outs, Lidge struck out Juan Castro to end the game.Biggio hit a leadoff homer, and Bagwell and Berkman hit consecutive drives with one out in the first. Jeff Kent walked, and Lamb connected for a 5-1 lead.Acevedo lasted just one inning, and six relievers combined to keep Houston scoreless the rest of the way: John Riedling, Phil Norton, Ryan Wagner, Mike Matthews, Todd Van Poppel and Danny Graves.