Football falls to OU in Norman

The Falcon football team walked out of Oklahoma Memorial Stadium Saturday knowing they can play with any team in the nation.

Although they fell 40-24 to the #2 ranked Oklahoma Sooners, they put up a good fight against some of the top talent in the nation, while playing in one of the most hostile environments.

“I’m damn proud of my team,” said BG head coach Gregg Brandon.

The Falcons never quit battling all game and, after trailing by 27 points heading into the fourth quarter, pulled to within two scores at 37-24 early in the fourth after safety Keon Newson jumped a screen route and returned an interception 28 yards for a touchdown.

“As the game flow went (on), we were able to pick up on a couple of different things (OU’s offense) were doing,” Newson said. “On (the interception) play, I picked up on a signal… and I was able to make that play.”

Oklahoma then went on a crushing drive to BG that went 17 plays for 73 yards, and took 8:57 off the clock. The key play of the drive, and maybe the game, was with the Sooners facing a 4th and 5 on BG’s 30-yard line. BG brought a blitz and OU quarterback Jason White rolled to his right to avoid the pressure. Throwing from his back foot, he found tight end Joe Jon Finley for a 14-yard gain and first down, which led to a 24-yard Trey DiCarlo field goal that put OU up 40-24 and sealed BG’s fate.

“We had our chances… but the 4th and 5 there in the end kind of took us out of (the game),” Brandon said.

The Sooners jumped out to a 7-0 lead in the first quarter as White found wide receiver Mark Clayton in the back of the endzone for a 6-yard touchdown pass, capping off an impressive 11 play, 61-yard opening drive for OU.

The Falcons had their first scoring opportunity late in the first after Newson stripped Sooners tight end James Moses of the ball and recovered it at the OU 30-yard line.

Three plays later, BG quarterback Omar Jacobs rolled to his right and hit Charles Sharon for an 18-yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 7.

Jacobs, making his first career start for the Falcons, finished the game 24 of 41 for 218 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions.

“I think Omar held up under the pressure,” Brandon said. “When he did get flushed (out of the pocket), he took care of the ball and made some plays. That was encouraging to see.”

Jacobs kept his composure all day and never appeared nervous, despite facing such a difficult defense in his first start.

“I’ve always had poise,” Jacobs said. “Going in there against one of the best defenses in the nation, I can’t show that I’m rattled… so (I had) to keep that poise.”

Sharon said about Jacobs, “I think he did very well. He’s going to be a great player.”

Oklahoma extended their lead to 24-10 at half-time after Kejaun Jones ran for an 11-yard touchdown, Clayton caught his second TD pass of the game, and DiCarlo hit a FG from 27 yards out.

BG had a difficult time stopping the Sooner running game.

Freshman standout Adrian Peterson took a hand-off from White and bolted 35 yards for a TD with 2:23 remaining in the third to put OU up 37-10. Jones, 32 carries for 148 yards, and Peterson, 16 for 100, dominated the Falcon D all day.

“Their backs were hard to tackle,” Brandon said. “We had to swarm to tackle those guys and that’s tough to sustain that kind of intensity for four quarters.”

The Falcon offense opened up their passing game on the ensuing drive to make a late push. Jacobs completed passes of 20 and 23 yards to receiver Steve Sanders to spark the offense. Sharon, who finished with 4 catches for 54 yards, made a great diving catch in the corner of the end zone for a 16-yard TD, his second of the game. Jacobs went 5-6 on the drive for 73 yards and a TD.

Falcon Notes

Brandon put an emphasis on BG being able to run the ball, but the Falcons finished the game with just 51 yards on 19 carries… Kicker Shaun Suisham tied his career long when he made a 47-yard FG in the second quarter… Middle linebacker Jovon Burkes led the Falcons with 12 tackles… Tight end Todd DiBacco caught the first two passes of his career on the opening drive, totaling nine yards… Newson finished the game with 10 tackles, 1 FF, 1 FR, and 1 INT returned for a TD.