What the city of BG has to offer

Welcome, freshmen! I’m sure that as you’re reading this in the prison-like confines of whichever dorm you were assigned, you’re probably feeling a little overwhelmed. For many of you, this is the first time you’ve been away from home for more than the occasional night spent at little Johnny or Suzie’s house.

Well, don’t panic! As a certified townie, born and raised 15 minutes away from lovely Bowling Green, I’m here to help you understand the hidden joys and wonders of Bowling Green, Ohio–your new home.

Now, believe me, I know that Bowling Green definitely has its negatives, not the least of which is the lovely construction on Wooster Street that will continue for the next year (at least).

My advice to you concerning the construction is acceptance. For months now, I’ve mashed my teeth at the sight of orange barrels and the inconvenience they cause, and all I’ve gained is more gray hair. Don’t let this happen to you. Take an orange barrel back to your dorm. Feed it. Love it. In no time, you’ll begin to see them all as friends, and then boy, will you be popular!

Another knock on Bowling Green is that unless you’re an alcoholic, there’s really not much to do. First of all, since you’re freshmen, you shouldn’t be drinking anyway, right? Right? Well, fortunately there is still a way to go to the bars and have a good time.

Howard’s (the bar) has live music pretty much every day of the week, which affords you a great opportunity to check out Bowling Green’s thriving and diverse music scene. That way if you do drink illegally, which is something I certainly don’t condone, at least you can hear some good live music while getting blitzed.

There are also innumerable coffee shops in Bowling Green. They are good places to go if you’re having latte cravings and don’t want to support the new Starbucks that will begin infesting the mall-like Union sometime in the next year.

There are more tattoo shops than you can shake a stick at, for those of you who like art (or pain, you kinky freshmen). Nothing says college independence like getting a tattoo, taking a picture of it, and mailing it home to your parents. In any case, it will make going home for the holidays so much more interesting.

If you haven’t been here during the winter before (and even if you have been, really) the winters here can be a shock. It’s very cold. And very windy. Every single day.

Hopefully you all brought your winter coats and ear muffs, because in a month or two you’re going to need them.

If you don’t have a bike here in Bowling Green, get one.

Buy one, or if you have one at home, have mom or dad bring it to you. Not only are bikes a good way to get around campus, but due to the fact that Bowling Green is like two miles wide, they’re also an excellent way to get around town. People think it is silly to ride a bike in the modern age of automobiles, but trust me: as long as you are in Bowling Green, you do not need a car.

Bikes also supply rapid transport from the bars on weekends, so feel free to laugh at the poor schlubs walking through the freezing cold when you whiz by them.

On a more serious note, the next four years (give or take one or two), you’re going to be a citizen of Bowling Green.

You can vote here, if you want.

The laws passed here affect you. The issues in Bowling Green affect you.

That being the case, you have a vested interest and a responsibility to getting involved in the local political scene.

I’m not talking about running for office, although that would be cool.

There are several political groups on campus, and several more that meet in Bowling Green.

Find them.

Join them.

Take charge of your future.

Look for fliers on campus and go to the meetings. It’s a good time, and you just might meet someone you’d like to kiss and get free food.

As freshmen, or any college class, the last thing you should do is join the procession of zombies marching down to the bars every weekend. Bowling Green really does have more to offer. You just have to look for it. I strongly urge you to take charge, get involved, explore BG and experience things that will change your lives.

I wish you all the best of luck, and again, welcome to Bowling Green.