Patriots’ key guys have Super Bowl experience

The New England Patriots will head into Sunday’s Super Bowl showdown with the Carolina Panthers looking to take their second Lombardi Trophy in three years.

In their last Super Bowl against the St. Louis Rams, the Patriots came in to the game heavy underdogs and shocked the sports world with their victory, but the tables have turned and now they are the heavy favorites.

This year, they once again bring a dominating defense that ranked first in the NFL in points allowed per game at 14.9. They have many of the key figures from their last Super Bowl team on their current roster, led by quarterback Tom Brady, cornerback Ty Law, outside linebacker Willie McGinest, and defensive lineman Richard Seymour.

The Panthers offense has been putting up surprisingly good numbers and points in their playoff run, but New England head coach Bill Belichick is sure to put together another one of his masterful game plans to stymie Carolina’s attack. Carolina loves to run the ball with Stephen Davis and Deshaun Foster in order to set up their passing game, but a tough Patriot front line that includes Seymour and mammoth defensive tackle Ted Washington will make sure their backs never see daylight.

New England tends to start games fast and score points early.

Brady’s ability to read defenses and good decision making will put the Patriots on the board first. Much maligned running back Antowain Smith seems to step up his play in big games and will help balance their offense. Look for Brady to lead the Patriots to an early touchdown score by managing a well drawn out drive and spreading the ball around to all four of his receivers, Troy Brown, Deion Branch, Bethel Johnson, and David Givens.

The Panthers never let down for a second, which will keep them in this game. But as long as the Patriots defense can play their typical hard-nose football, Carolina’s offense will not find much success.

New England’s defense has always been the teams greatest strength. With consistently effective play from middle linebacker Teddy Bruschi, along with big years from outside linebacker Mike Vrabel and strong safety off-season acquisition Rodney Harrison, this defense never quits.

Carolina’s defense will settle down as the game goes on and hold New England from scoring many points. But this Patriot team has too much intelligence and character to get rattled and will prevent the Panthers from taking the lead.

Since neither offense is real explosive, this probably will not be a high scoring game, which is good for the fans because the score will remain close. Carolina may have the opportunity to have one last drive needing a touchdown to win, but their inexperience will catch up with them and there is no way that the veteran Patriot defense, along with their incredibly intelligent coaching staff, will allow the Panthers to get in the endzone.

New England will be victorious once again and get their second Super Bowl championship of the young decade. Final score New England 20, Carolina 14 and all those angry Boston Red Sox fans can cheer in glory for their dominating football team, at least until it’s time for the boys of summer to take the field.