Gas prices stress students

Lately, everyone has been suffering from gas pains–except these pains will not simply pass.

As the price of gasoline continues to soar into the $2 mark, citizens as well as students of Bowling Green have had to change their traveling habits. BGSU sophomore Elysia Dubbert said ever since gas has gone up in price, she has started to walk more frequently instead of driving.

“It’s outrageous,” Dubbert said. “I don’t feel like I can drive anywhere. I can’t even afford to eat out, let alone drive around town.”

Dubbert said that with gas getting so expensive, it’s hard for her to simply drive down the road.

“I’m really apprehensive,” Dubbert said. “I don’t want to go places just so I can save [money].”

However, these rising gas prices have not stopped everyone from their normal driving habits. BGSU senior Chad Niezgoda said the rising prices haven’t stopped him from driving home to Oregon every weekend.

“It hasn’t really bothered me yet,” Niezgoda said. “But I just kind of expect it. [Prices] have gone up before and they’ll go down a little bit and then they’ll go back up again.”

But Niezgoda said that he drives a little less than he used to.

“If you don’t have to drive, you don’t drive,” Niezgoda said. “I try and stretch it out as far as I can. I’m just happy I drive a little truck that gets good gas mileage.”

Dave Swartz, who lives in Luckey and works for the University Library, said that even though the price increase is gradual, he doesn’t like it.

“I just resent having to pay these overpriced fees,” Swartz said. “When they’re up one day and down the next it doesn’t make sense.”

Gas Station workers in Bowling Green have also been affected by the rising price of gasoline. Jon Sommer, the assistant manager of Barney’s on Wooster Street, said most of his customers have been pumping less fuel.

“People would normally come in and fill up their car,” Sommer said. “But lately they’ve been getting $5 and $10 worth of gas.”

Sommer said that the customers have been constantly complaining and threatening to stop driving all together, but will have to suffer through it because ultimately people need to drive to get places.

“It’s putting a big strap on everybody,” Sommer said. “But everyone needs gas to get where they want to go.”

Sally Harden, manager of Sunoco on Wooster Street, said her business has suffered not only due to the rising gas prices, but also from Wooster Street construction. As a result, she has decided to lure customers by becoming the cheapest gas station on Wooster Street.

“I undercut (other stations) by two cents, so sales haven’t been as bad this week,” Harden said.

Yet with gas continuing to go up even before the official summer season begins, it is uncertain how long these gas prices will rise. Sommer said people should stop complaining and start getting used to these high prices.

“In the three years that I’ve worked at Barney’s, every time the prices go up, they tend to stay up,” Sommer said. “So I’m not sure if they’re ever going to go down.”

As gasoline prices continue to soar, some analysts believe the $3 mark will be reached at some point this summer. Dubbert said she will not pay for gas if it gets that expensive.

“I wouldn’t drive if I had to pay $3 for a gallon, unless I absolutely have to go somewhere,” she said.