Governor appoints new trustees

The University’s board of trustees gained two valuable members when Stephanie Imhoff and Korine Steinke began their terms May 24.

Imhoff, a University graduate, and Steinke, assistant to the director of the Higher Education and Student Affairs program, were appointed by Gov. Bob Taft in mid-May to fill vacant trustee spots.

Imhoff was appointed to a nine-year term as a regular voting member. Steinke was assigned a two-year graduate trustee term.

For Linda Dobb, secretary to the board of trustees, Imhoff and Steinke will be welcome additions to the board.

“It’s always nice when we have people who come from different points of view and different experiences who work on the board,” Dobb said.

After interviewing possible graduate trustees, Dobb sent a list of five candidates to the governor, from which Steinke was selected.

According to Dobb, the selection of regular voting members differs from that of the graduate trustee.

“With the regular voting members, the board of trustees itself works with the president of the University,” Dobb said. “The governor makes the decision.”

The appointment to the board of trustees brought excitement to both women. For Steinke, the announcement added a positive note to the end of the school year.

“I was really excited,” Steinke said. “It was a very pleasant surprise at the end of the term.”

Imhoff expressed the same excitement. Her husband is also a University graduate, and her appointment will allow her to give back to the University.

“I’ve always cared about the community and giving back,” Imhoff said. “I guess how I acted was very honored and privileged, and very humbled for sure.”

Several leadership roles have aided Imhoff and Steinke in being chosen as trustees. While at the University, Imhoff was a member of Chi Omega sorority, USG and Omicron Delta Kappa. She served on the board of trustees for the Young Women’s Christian Association of Columbus from 1991-2003, and is currently on their endowment board. In 1999, Imhoff was recognized in Columbus as one of the Business First “40 Under 40.”

As chief financial officer of Longaberger Co., Imhoff has helped establish the company budget and financial plans. She has also been in charge of the treasury, finance and real estate management.

“I do think those leadership experiences will help me add value to the board, which in turn will help the University in achieving it’s goals,” Imhoff said.

Steinke served as a hall director during her undergraduate career at Monmouth College. She was the director of Residence Life at Bluffton College while earning her master’s degree in college student personnel. Last fall, Steinke became a doctoral student at the University, and an adviser for the University Program for Academic Success.

According to Steinke, her doctoral work has taught her the ins and outs of the University.

“My coursework for my doctoral program exposed me to the other components of the University,” Steinke said. “We looked at financial issues, governance, organizational issues, legal issues, all those different things that are a part of this University.”

Steinke has had plenty of experience in student affairs in her collegiate career. She said being a UPAS adviser was an important experience.

“That gave me a completely different set of experiences because I had the opportunity to work with students looking solely at their academics and success here at the University,” Steinke said.

Both appointees will use their skills to fill the shoes of trustees whose terms expired. Imhoff will replace Valerie Newell, and Steinke will take over for Angie Williams Chehmani.

Imhoff and Steinke plan to do anything they can to improve the University. According to Steinke, this will come after some practice on the board.

“I have a lot to learn still,” Steinke said. “I need to soak up everything and learn about what it takes to be a board member. Then, once I get a better footing, I can start thinking about what the students here need.”

Imhoff echoed Steinke’s statement about wanting to improve the University.

“I know how important higher education is to Ohio, and I’m looking forward to using my background and skills to contribute to the University that gave my husband and I so much,” Imhoff said.