University pleas for ‘G!FTs’

Those of you who frequent the University’s homepage as much as I do (I religiously check my BGNet e-mail several times a day to get exciting updates from all of my professors and instructors) have noticed a new addition, namely an offer to make a gift (or G!FT, due to the poor punctuation and grammar used) to the University.

Well, the other day I decided to have another exciting Bowling Green-in-the-summer time by clicking on this innocuous little link.

You won’t believe what I witnessed.

You won’t believe the horror I beheld.

It seems that times are tough at the University. So tough that the current administration has decided to turn their homepage into an open basket for contributions.

It seems that rather than relying on the golf games and cigar smoke-filled rooms that I thought were the backbone of any fundraising effort, any subtlety has been beaten out of what was once was an intriguing cloak-and-dagger process.

Apparently the handshakes and dry martinis haven’t been enough.

Apparently the wining and dining just hasn’t been effective.

Now, instead of making fundraising arrangements at bake sales or Dr. Ribeau’s happening rich people parties, the University has taken all of the pretense off of the table.

Instead of pats on the backs and sly whispers, we have only this: a Web site link and a groaning “Please!”

How the mighty have fallen.

Is this a University that sold out to Pepsi?

Is this a University that has jumped on the Starbucks bandwagon?

Where has all the magic gone?

Oh, Dr. Ribeau, say it ain’t so.

And of course, I couldn’t help but notice that one of the program’s viewers are invited to give a contribution to is none other than the BGSU Foundation, Inc, the same non-profit organization that is paying $1 million for a new house for Dr. Ribeau.

What, does it need a new toilet seat? Central air? Maybe they’re counting on having to replace all of the windows that will be broken when errant golf balls intrude on Dr. Ribeau’s domicile.

The horror.

Personally, as a student, I feel offended here. As college-aged human beings, we are bombarded with advertisements wanting us to buy something all day, every day. Do we really have to face another advertisement asking us for money we don’t have on the Web page we need to access for our very own college?

While I understand that other people view our Web page as well, it seems to me that most of the traffic on it would be predominately University students. Can’t the University take their pleas for money elsewhere?

And we all know that with tuition rising and rising, asking a student for money is like asking someone crawling through the desert for water. It’s insulting.

I also understand that the link offering to let you make a G!FT does lead to some very worthy programs, such as the Family Campaign and setting up scholarships. Still, there has to be a less obtrusive way.

I feel insulted that one of the organizations included in this plea for more blood is the same organization that’s dropping a million dollars on a house. I know that if my mom gave me money and I bought a Ferrari with it (even a model one) instead of buying books, I wouldn’t get any more money. It should be the same case here.

Instead of trying to raise more money for the Foundation so they can throw really great parties instead of just good ones, I have a suggestion: raise money to elect politicians in Ohio who care about the education system and want to get funding for it sorted out.

Maybe then the University won’t have to go to such ridiculous and degrading lengths for some dough.

Better yet, put a link to every student with BGSU’s bank account on it and let people put money in there. I know I could use a new shirt or two. Maybe even Gucci!

Until the budget situation in Columbus gets sorted out (if that ever happens) and the supposedly-improving economy helps Ohio regain some of the tens of thousands of manufacturing jobs lost in the last few years, public education funding is going to continue to suffer, and more and more universities are left to fend for themselves to find money. Our university is certainly no exception.

However, I think it’s insulting to students and reflects poorly on the University itself to stoop to the level of an open hand on the homepage. While I’m sure the administration of Dr. Ribeau will refuse to comment on this, just as it has about Dr. Ribeau’s impending real estate deal, as students we must let our voices be heard.

If you feel as I do, then call, write letters, do anything. Write an opinion column. It’s not too late. Or you could sit back and rely on a University to pass a basket to finance your future.

Either way, the choice is yours, but it’s going to affect more people than the one looking back at you in the mirror.

E-mail Shaun with comments at [email protected].