CPA taking applictions

So maybe your childhood dream of becoming a police officer when you grew up didn’t come true — it’s all right. The Bowling Green Police Division is offering students and community members the chance to fulfill this goal.

The division will sponsor its 14th Citizens Police Academy in February. The program will consist of nine consecutive (except during spring break) weekly classes, with a goal to teach citizens what it takes to be a Bowling Green police officer.

“It gives them a good opportunity to see what it’s like to be a police officer here,” Sergeant Paul Tyson said. This is Tyson’s third year running the CPA.

Classes will cover such topics as police equipment, the laws of arrest, investigations, firearms and personal safety. Teachers will be experts in their fields: Judges, detectives and self defense instructors, among others.

The program will culminate with a graduation ceremony on April 13.

Although student enrollment in CPA has been on the rise, police are still looking to increase the number of students in the program. The decision to hold classes on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 was made partially for the purpose of attracting more students.

“It’d be good to have students come out to see how we work,” Tyson said.

Classes are traditionally limited to about 35 students, and some applications for the program have already been received. To enroll in CPA, or for more information about the program, call the Bowling Green Police Division at 419-354-1546, e-mail [email protected] or fill out an application online at http://bowlinggreenpolice.org/cpa.php. Applications will be accepted until Dec. 31.