School of Art holds holiday sale

Tomorrow faculty and students hope to welcome many new visitors to the School of Art while raising funds for student organizations at the first annual Holiday Open House and Art Extravaganza.

The event will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center and will include student art sales and demonstrations, a Japanese tea room presentation in the Hiroko Nakamoto Gallery and several open student and faculty galleries. The event is free and open to the public.

“We want to raise campus and regional awareness of what goes on here and to promote the school of art to this community,” professor Dennis Wojtkiewicz in the School of Art said, “we want to welcome people here.”

Works on display include those in the “Design Migrations: Unigraphics’ Best” an exhibition that features work from former students employees of BGSU Unigraphics held in the Willard Wankelman Gallery and the School of Art’s 55th Annual Faculty and Staff Exhibition, which features 88 works by 48 artists held in the Dorothy Uber Bryan Gallery.

“The faculty here have international and national reputations in the arts and this is a showcase of the work that’s being produced by them,” Wojtkiewicz said.

Student art displays will be open for viewing and several undergraduate and graduate student studios will be open to the public, said gallery director in the School of Art Jacqueline Nathan.

“I hope it will give us the opportunity to show the amazing artwork students are doing and what we have to offer the community,” Nathan said.

Works on display represent a variety of media, from sculptures to painting to films. The art goes from the most traditional forms to the avante gard, Wojkiewicz said.

Live music will be provided by local jazz band, the Rob Howard Quartet, and free food and refreshments will also be provided.

Demonstrations in glass blowing, metal pouring, painting and drawing and jewelry work are planned, Wojtkiewicz said.

“It will be an opportunity for people to walk around and see people actually at work and giving demonstrations,” Wojtkiewicz said. “And it’s not only about creating awareness for the School of Art, we’re also having art sales to benefit student organizations.”

Students and their organizations will each receive a percentage profit from the sales, said Nathalie Ayres, president of the 2DAA Club.

The student artwork for sale is from a variety of mediums including sculpture, glass, printmaking, digital arts and graphic design, metals and jewelry, fibers, photography, drawing and painting.

“We hope to promote our area and use the sale as a chance to make money for our organization,” said Ayres. “This has been a challenge for us as both artists and students, giving us real world experience. I hope the community will take advantage of it and we’ll have a chance to sell ourselves.”

The art sale is at an opportune time to buy holiday gifts, Nathan said.

“I think it will bring in people who want to do some holiday shopping done and they will be able to purchase one of a kind artwork,” Nathan said.

Pieces should range from about $5 to hundreds of dollars, Wojtkiewicz said.

“But for the most part we’re trying to keep things reasonably priced for faculty and students,” he said.

Profits made from art sales will help student organizations buy new equipment, go on field trips and bring in guest speakers.

Students played a major role in planning the event and making art to be sold, Wojtkiewicz said.

Organizations involved in sales and planning include the Print Society, 2DAA (Two-dimensional Artists Association), SMAC (Student Metal Art Club), CAC (Computer Art Club) and Sculpture Club.

The faculty and students hope that the open house will encourage people to come in the school of art more often, Wojtkiewicz said.

“We would like people to feel free to walk in and see what’s going on here anytime of the year. It’s not only going to be edifying but also entertaining,” Wojtkiewicz said. “We want people to come in and enjoy themselves and we also hope to make this an annual event.”

The Faculty and Staff Exhibition and the “Design Migrations” Exhibition will continue through Jan. 18.

For those who wish to shop early, some sales have already begun. The clay club’s sale will be from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Donations to support the student organizations are also being accepted at the open house.