BGSU students invited to participate in discussion of racial politics

ICS presenting their Faculty Fellowship Program in November

A discussion of Racial Politics of Reproductive Rights will take place in BGSU Hayes Hall room 203 onThursday, Nov. 17 from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.

The 2022 supreme court case, Dobbs vs. Jackson Women’s Health Organization is a landmark decision that ruled the U.S. constitution does not guarantee abortion access. This case triggered the overturning of Roe vs. Wade, a 50-year-long precedent that guaranteed access to safe abortions for all U.S. citizens.

BGSU Ethnic Studies professor, Kimberly Stanley and Director of the Melanation Healing Project, Thaisa Awad will introduce attendants to the abortion debate, and the tendency of both sides to declare the protection of women of color a factor in their stance.

The discussion will explore the Black maternal mortality crisis, racial factors that play into this and the work of women of color activists.

This session is part of the Dobbs discussion series, organized by BGSU Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality studies and The Center for Women’s and Gender Equity and began in September and has since covered a variety of topics discussing Dobbs effect on issues such as privacy, the US legal system, sexual violence and more.

The Understanding Dobbs discussion series explores various issues to deepen collective knowledge and encourage the discussion of tough topics among viewpoints that differentiate.