Advancing Women in STEM

Advancing Women in STEM

The 39th annual Women in STEM program hosted sixth to eighth grade students at Bowling Green State University from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 1, in the Bowen Thompson Student Union.

The program highlights various science, technology, engineering and mathematics career opportunities for over 330 young women from around northwest Ohio. 

Students spent the day completing hands-on activities, exploring and performing experiments in physics, astronomy, chemistry, biology, engineering, mathematics and technology. They also took part in learning about STEM fields and what STEM has to offer in high school and higher education. 

BGSU faculty and other STEM professionals presented throughout the day in breakout sessions and hands-on workshops. There was a keynote given by Lydia Denton, a 14-year- old inventor from Wilson, North Carolina, who draws inspiration from her own personal challenges. 

This program was presented by the Northwest Ohio Center for Excellence in STEM Education. NWO partners with universities, K-12 schools and community partners in order to advance STEM education for people of all ages. 

Sponsors for this program include BGSU, Lubrizol, PPG Industries, The Andersons, Columbia Gas and NWO.