Soundly Defeated: Kent State Crushes Bowling Green in Home Finale

DWH_Photography

BGSU Football lost to the Kent State Golden Flashes 40-6 on Wednesday night in the home finale of the 2022 season.

It was a rough start for both BGSU and Kent, as both teams were unable to score any points in the first quarter.

In the beginning of the second quarter with 14:56 left on the clock, Kent State quarterback Collin Schlee threw a pass to running back Bryan Bradford on a 14-yard pass for an early touchdown, giving the Golden Flashes a 7-0.

Both teams had a hard time scoring in the middle of the second quarter, but at 4:43, Schlee scored on a four yard rushing touchdown to expand Kent’s lead to 14-0.

About two and a half minutes later, Schlee threw the ball to Devontez Walker on a 21-yard pass, but they were unable to score the extra point, making the score 20-0.

Coming out of half-time, with 8:41 left on the clock, Kent State’s Andrew Glass scored a field goal from 26 yards out to make the score 23-0 in the third quarter.

At 4:29, quarterback Matt McDonald threw the ball to junior wide receiver Tyrone Broden on a 24-yard catch and run for the lone Falcon touchdown, but were was unable to execute the two-point conversion. The score was now 23-6, and it was the final score of the 3rd quarter.

A few minutes into the fourth quarter at 13:17, Schlee threw another successful ball to Walker on a 26-yard pass for a touchdown to extend the lead to 30-6.

At 6:35, Glass made a field goal from 27 yards to cushion the lead to 33-6. Finally, at 5:16, linebacker Marvin Pierre intercepted a ball from backup quarterback Camden Orth, scoring on a 33-yard run to end the night at 40-6. 

McDonald finished the night with 31 of 40 for 246 yards, one touchdown, and an interception. Broden led the way in receiving with 84 yards on eight catches, along with a touchdown. Senior tight end Christian Sims hauled in six catches for 68 yards as well.

BGSU will be on the road for the final two games of the regular season. Next up is a trip up I-75 for a battle with arch-rival Toledo on Tuesday, Nov. 15. Kickoff from the Glass Bowl is scheduled for 7 p.m.

For more information about the Falcons, visit bgsufalcons.com