Brett’s 26 Leads Falcons to Season-Opening Win Against Bonnies

BGSU Women’s Basketball defeated the St. Bonaventure Bonnies 77-61 yesterday on the road. 

Senior Elissa Brett finished with a career-high 26 points, along with four made three pointers. Senior forward Allison Day, a transfer from Loyola-Chicago, also made quite the impact, finishing the night with 19 points. 

The Falcons were quite the menace on defense, forcing the Bonnies into 29 turnovers, along with 16 steals, en route to the double-digit win. 

Junior guard Nyla Hampton was all over the place for the Orange and Brown, ending the night with seven points, six steals, two rebounds, and three made free throws. Senior sharpshooter Morgan Sharps also pitched in seven points. 

But what really excited Falcon fans, along with the impressive team performance, was the return of star shooting guard Lexi Fleming. After missing the entirety of the 2021-22 season with a knee injury, Fleming made her return to the floor last night, logging 15 minutes of action, while chipping in four points, three rebounds, and a steal. 

As a team, the Falcons shot exactly 40% from the field, including five three pointers and shooting 12 of 17 from the charity stripe. 

Head Coach Robyn Fralick could not have been more pleased with the way her team opened the season.

This was a great opening-night team win,” Fralick said. “I loved our defensive tenacity and rebounding efforts. We have a lot of things to learn from and improve upon moving forward.”

Now 1-0, the Falcons look to build on an impressive season-opening performance in one week, when they return home to the Stroh Center for the home opener against Wright State. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.

For more information about the team, visit bgsufalcons.com