Facing the Falcons Next: No. 6 Bulls take down No. 3 Bobcats

Last night, the six seed Buffalo Bulls took on the third seed Ohio Bobcats in the second quarterfinal match of the MAC Tournament, winning the match 3-1. The Bulls will advance and face the Bowling Green Falcons tonight for a semi-final matchup.  

Here’s how the Bulls came out on top.  

Set 1: 25-23 

The Bobcats started the set with an early 10-4 lead over the Bulls, with six kills for the Green and White. From there, Buffalo slowly started to close the gap, the score creeping toward a tie. With a 9-16 score and Bobcats in the lead, Buffalo came to life with a 5-0 run, the score now 14-16. The set continued in this fashion until Buffalo utilized a 6-0 run to take the lead over the Bobcats, the score now 21-19. With both teams taking turns scoring with two-point runs, the Bulls used a 3-1 run (three UB kills) to take the opening set, 25-23. 

Set 2: 22-25 

Set two began with each team trading points and the lead back and forth. With the set tied up at five points each, Ohio took the lead and kept the momentum going, the score eventually reaching 8-13. With a 3-3 run, the set continued on with Buffalo still behind by five points. Moving along, Buffalo and Ohio continued to score, yet the Bulls were unable to snatch the lead. With a 17-23 score, UB would take advantage of a 5-1 run, attempting to close the gap. At this point, the Bobcats held the score 22-24. For the match point, Ohio’s Caroline Clippard logged a kill to close the set and tie up the match. With the final score of 22-25, the Bobcats logged 14 kills compared to the Bulls’ 11.  

Set 3: 25-23 

The third set, starting similarly to the one before, showcased Buffalo and Ohio trading points. With the score tied up, 10-10, the Bobcats would take a 3-0 run to take the lead. Buffalo quickly responded with a productive 4-0 run to steal the lead. With the score soon tied back up at fourteen points each, both teams began inching toward the end of the set. The score tied up 19-19, which would later lead to a 22-22 tie, made possible by a 3-3 run by both teams. Following the 22-22 tie, the Bulls logged another three kills, taking the third set. 

Set 4: 25-21 

The fourth and final set began with a quick Buffalo lead, the score reaching 7-4 early on. With a 3-1 Bobcat run, Ohio began to close the gap with an 8-7 score. Buffalo and Ohio would continue to take turns scoring, with the Bulls still holding on to the lead. When the score reached 18-16, UB went on a 4-0 run, extending their lead to 22-16. A quick response from the Bobcats would include a three-point run, the score now 22-19. To end the match, the Bulls logged two kills and an ace, officially moving on in the MAC tournament. For the Bulls, senior Courtney Okwara and sophomore Katrina Trebichavska logged 16 kills and four aces alone.  

Looking ahead, the Bulls will face Bowling Green Falcons tonight, vying for a spot in the championship game. With MACtion resuming again at 4:30 p.m. between Ball State and Central Michigan, the Bulls and Falcons will have their first serve at 7 pm.