How to give thanks and give back locally this Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is the perfect time to spend with family and friends and reflect on what you’re grateful for. However, some are not as lucky during the holiday season. Food insecurity along with a lack of warm clothing during the Winter months is a prevalent problem. According to the Brown Bag Food Project of Wood County, 14.8% of Wood County residents struggle with food insecurity. 

However, there are many ways to give back this season. Starbucks Coffee on Wooster Street is hosting a “One Warm Coat” drive where you can donate a clean and gently worn coat. They are accepting coats of all types and sizes from November 1 through November 20. You can also donate online at onewarmcoat.org 

BG Christian Food Pantry, the Brown Bag Food Project, and First United Methodist Church are all local resources where you can donate canned food and other non-perishable items that provide food for those who struggle to provide for themselves. 

“The Brown Bag Food Project is very helpful when it comes to getting help with food. The people are very kind.” says Mike Burnham, a Bowling Green local. 

The Brown Bag Food Project is located at 530 Sand Ridge Road., and they are open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. 

BG Christian Food Pantry is located at 419 Gould Street #6 and is open Monday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and then Wednesday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. 

The First United Methodist Church is located at 1526 E Wooster Street and is open every day from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. every day besides Sunday when hours are from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. 

There are multiple donation centers and other locations around Bowling Green that provide ways for people to give back. For more information go to greatnonprofits.org/city/bowling-green/OH.