BGSU blanks Miami, sets eyes on MAC tournament

BGSU Volleyball put on their most dominant performance of the season on both sides of the court, winning by at least ten points each set as the Falcons (20-9, 15-3 MAC), won their 20th game of the season, defeating the Miami RedHawks (7-22, 2-16 MAC) in straight sets, 25-7, 25-15, 25-11.  

The win crowns the Falcons as the MAC regular season co-champions along with the Ball State Cardinals. Ball State owns the tiebreaker over the Falcons due to their better overall record (23-7) and their victory over the orange and brown on Oct. 28, so they will be the top seed in the MAC tournament, while Bowling Green will be the second seed.  

The defense for the Falcons was the best it has been all season. In the first set, they held Miami to just seven points, the lowest amount allowed in any set for Bowling Green this season. BGSU also did not allow a single ace in the match for the first time this season. Jessica Andrews led the way with seven blocks, while Yelianiz Torres led the dig category once again with 13.  

Katelyn Meyer has been on a hot streak during Bowling Green six-game win streak, as she found herself, along with Petra Indrova and Mia Tyler, leading the team with six kills. Alexis Mettille dominated the RedHawk defense with five aces, while Indrova put up three of her own. 

BGSU has a first-round bye in the MAC tournament, and they are set to play on Nov. 21 at 7 PM against the winner of the Buffalo-Ohio match. Bowling Green is a combined 4-0 against both teams this season.