Broncos use Dominant Third Period to Down Falcons


BGSU Hockey

The eighteenth ranked Western Michigan Broncos defeated the Bowling Green State Falcons 4-1 at the Lawson Ice Arena last night.

The Broncos started the game firing on all cylinders, holding the Falcons to one shot in the entire first period. Falcon goaltender Zack Rose kept the game scoreless until around seven minutes into the game, when Falcon Freshman Brett Pfoh was called on a delayed high sticking call, bringing the extra man on for the Broncos. While the extra skater was on the ice, Bronco center Max Sasson would find Freshman forward Ethan Worthers behind the net. Worthers would then try a wrap-around, and beat Rose post side, giving the Broncos the 1-0 lead. 

Bowling Green would leave the first period with some positives however, killing the Phof penalty off, and headed into the first intermission only down by a goal, thanks to strong goal protection by Rose. 

In the second period, it would not take long for the Broncos to get back on the board. This time, Wothers would be the one to find teammate Cole Gallant behind the net, who would also beat Rose in a wrap-around battle, giving the Broncos a 2-0 lead just 1:06 into the period. Just a a minute after though, Miami transfer Chase Gresock would find Sophomore Bradon Krieger in front, whose his shot would be poke checked by Western goalie Cameron Rowe into fellow Falcon Sophomore Austen Swankler’s stick. Swankler’s attempt would be successful, cutting the Bronco lead in half 2-1. Later in the second, BG Captain Alex Barber would find himself in the penalty box for a tripping call. Bowling Green would once again burn off this penalty, and stay out of the box for the remainder of the game. Both teams would head to the locker room as time expired with different out looks as the first, as BG would win the battle in shots 16-9.

Bowling Green had many chances to tie this game in the third period, as they would have two powerplays, but could not find the back of the net. The Broncos would add to their lead in the third, as after forcing a turnover in the defensive zone, WMU’s Max Sasson would head up the ice with a two on one breakaway, and after some nifty passing with Ryan McAllister, the puck would find Sasson one final time, beating Rose and giving Western Michigan the 3-1 lead.

That was not all for that pairing, as two minutes later, the two Broncos would do the exact same thing they did the first time: a turnover in the defensive zone, get a two on one breakaway, however this time McAllister would have the puck last, beating Rose top corner and sealing the game for WMU 4-1 with five minutes left.

Head Coach Ty Eigner, despite the loss, found value to take away.

“Unfortunately, we got off to a slow start,” Eigner said. “Zack Rose played really well and kept us in it. They scored the first goal of the second period and our guys responded. We didn’t see any quit. After the first period, it was a really good hockey game. Give Western Michigan credit, they played well. It’s good for us to get the experience of playing in this type of environment.”

The Falcons return home tonight, looking for revenge against the Broncos. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:07 pm. 

For more information about the team, visit