Women’s Soccer blanks Central Michigan

Women’s Soccer blanks Central Michigan

MOUNT PLEASANT, MI- BGSU Women’s Soccer got off to a quick start on Thursday night, netting two first-half goals en route to a 2-0 victory over the Central Michigan Chippewas at CMU Sports Complex in Mount Pleasant.

The Falcons (3-3-3 overall, 1-0-2 MAC), picked up their first win in the MAC schedule Thursday night after a three-game stretch where they did not record a win. The last win on the season dates all the way back to September 11, a 3-0 victory over Valparaiso. 

Senior Forward and Michigan native Kennedy White continued her monstrous senior year and got the Falcons on the board first. Following a corner kick, White seized the opportunity and canned a kick home from the right side of the net, giving the Falcons a 1-0 lead after just ten minutes. 

The Falcon defense was very effective on the night, allowing just 11 shots on goal all game. Senior Goalkeeper Lili Berg was fantastic as well, stopping all 11 shots on goal and pitching her second shutout of the season. 

Later in the 30th minute, White struck again. This time after a couple of nice passes, including an eventual assist from Junior Midfielder Maya Dean, White was able to strike from much closer as she banged another goal home, giving her eight on the season in just nine games. 

Something to note on the night: White moved into sixth place all-time in career goals for the Falcons, while also sliding into the top ten in career points. 

The Chippewas (1-7-2 overall, 0-2-1 MAC), could not get anything going against the stout Falcon defense. They registered five shots in the first half and six in the second, but very seldom were there legitimate chances on the net.

Bowling Green with the win continues their dominance lately over the Chippewas. Despite being on the wrong side of the all-time head-to-head record, BGSU has now won the last six matchups against the two squads, with CMU’s last win coming all the way back in 2016 

After a very tough non-conference schedule and some disappointing early season conference losses, the Falcons showed glimpses of their potential in conference play. The Falcons return home this weekend on Sunday to take on the Ball State Cardinals, who have yet to fall in MAC play (3-3-4 overall, 2-0-1 MAC). Game time is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Cochrane Stadium. 

For more information about the game, visit www.bgsufalcons.com