BGSU names vice president for Population Association of America

BGSU+Letters

Falcon Media Staff

BGSU Letters

Emily Dimick, Reporter

Bowling Green State University Professor Dr. Susan L. Brown has recently been named the vice president-elect of the Population Association of America (PAA), an organization for renowned demographers all around the world. 

Brown started her term as vice president-elect on Jan. 1 and will remain in that position until 2024 when she will become the vice president. Brown has served on the board of directors and has been a part of the organization for almost 30 years. 

As the vice president-elect, Brown will work with the president of the organization. She will also call for proposals and review submissions for the PAA’s annual meetings. This means she will get to look over some of the world’s most cutting-edge population science research. 

While in her new position, Brown wants to make sure that the PAA stays inclusive and valuable to scholars worldwide. 

“It’s a tremendous honor, and it’s my pleasure to serve an organization that has meant so much to me and my career development,” Brown said. “It’s also a testament to BGSU and our prominence in the field of demography and population science.” 

At BGSU, Brown is the director of the Center for Family and Demographic Research (CFDR) and the co-director of the National Center for Family and Marriage Research (NCFMR).

Brown is excited to provide students with the mentorship needed to conduct meaningful research, throughout her time as vice president-elect.