Students fear the possibility of panty thief

Falcon Media Staff

On-campus laundry room

Jess Oberski, Reporter

Some BGSU students say the university’s plan for an anonymous laundry service is a waste and an invitation for laundry theft. 

Bowling Green State University is planning to launch a pilot program for anonymous laundry services in some of the on-campus dorms. 

This service would be based on a program that is already running at Purdue University. 

A third-party company would install a laundry locker system in Offenhauer, Founders and Kreicher. 

Here students would be able to purchase a laundry bag for $12 to $13 per bag. BG1 dollars and Falcon Dollars would not be able to be used for the service. 

Once students have filled their laundry bag, they are able to place it in a locker. 

An anonymous student hired by the outside company would then get a notification that there was laundry that needed to be done. 

The laundry would then be washed, dried and folded before being returned to the locker. 

From there, the owner of the laundry would receive an email telling them that they may retrieve their items.  

Many students said they were concerned about the cost. 

“I can do my own laundry and it is already free in the dorms. I also don’t think many would have confidence in the system. I would want proof they are honest,” Shane Johnson, a sports management major said. 

Many female presenting students were worried about their underwear being touched and or stolen. 

“I just don’t like it. I wouldn’t want someone touching my clothes but especially my underwear. I also have clothes that have to be turned inside out or hang to dry. Would they care about any of that,” Kaitlyn Kamer, a music education major said. 

Overall 18 out of 23 people surveyed said they did not want someone else touching their underwear or feared someone taking it. 

Other concerns included the ability to use their own detergent, the size of the laundry bags and taking away space from current in-dorm laundry areas.

“I think it is just a convenience for people with a lot of money. I don’t see many people using it,” Blake Chatt, a film production major said.