Don’t blame farmers, allergies are from genetics

Laura Sandlin, Reporter

The spring season has officially begun and as flowers begin to bloom, so do allergies. Bowling Green is known for its large farmlands, and farmers are beginning to harvest crops that grew during the winter.  

As the season changes from winter to spring, many blame allergy season on the uptake of farming. 

Allergies can be caused by mold developing on soybeans, leading to worsened symptoms as crops are harvested by farmers. 

However, Ben Batey, BGSU’s chief health officer said symptoms from mold on soybeans are usually a fall allergy rather than in the spring.

“Harvesting of soybeans generally occurs in the fall during the months of October and November, so I wouldn’t anticipate this playing a factor in spring allergies,” said Batey. 

Landon Smith, a local farmer who works for Rohrs Farms and Manufacturing based in Findlay, agrees with Batey’s statements. 

“White mold shouldn’t be a concern during the spring because we make sure to spray in order to prevent anything,” he said. 

Batey said students can help manage their allergies as the seasons continue to change by watching reports, keeping windows shut and avoiding pollen. 

“Keep windows and doors shut at home and in your car during allergy season. To avoid pollen, know which pollen you are sensitive to and then check pollen count,” Batey said. 

Batey also recommends taking showers, washing hair and changing clothes after working or playing outdoors to help with eliminating any pollen that may be on a person. 

When mowing the lawn or doing other chores outdoors, Batey said wearing a filter mask could help alleviate any allergy symptoms.  

Students can work with their physician to help identify seasonal allergy triggers and they can get appropriate recommendations based on the severity of their allergies.  

Some over-the-counter allergy medications may be enough to help people through periods of high pollen counts and other issues, however, others may need to see an allergist for more in-depth testing and treatment. 

When it comes to pollen or dust that is created from farming, allergies may flare up for certain individuals, but by keeping up and treating your allergies, the spring season should be enjoyable.