AP: Lawmakers’ reversal on August election stressing election workers

The Associated Press and other news sources report the move by Republican lawmakers to reverse their decision on eliminating August elections created stress and pressure on already frazzled election workers.

In January, Republicans voted to eliminate August elections but in May changed course and approved an August 8 special election to make it more difficult to amend the state’s constitution. Currently, changes require a simple majority while the ballot initiative would require a 60% majority to enact  changes. While proponents say the vote is about more than abortion, the issue is at the center of most debates as an amendment to the state constitution sits on the November ballot that would ensure abortion rights.

Whatever the reason for the August election, it’s left county election officials scrambling, working to get election workers to rearrange vacations and other plans while the actual ballot language continues to be a challenge as the Ohio Supreme Court identified errors.

“When you’re overworked, haven’t had breaks, are stressed, things can happen,” Michelle Wilcox, director of elections in Auglaize County just southwest of Lima, told the Associated Press. “These are the things that lead up to catastrophes on Election Day, and to have to do it on such a short timeline is troubling.”

Meanwhile, WTVG reports other issues are creating challenges just north in Lucas County.

“Voter fatigue and some voter confusion for what they’re voting for, with all of these back-to-back-to-back like this, nd it can certainly be confusing for individuals who may have Maumee or Oregon postal addresses but don’t actually live in the city limits,” Tim Monaco, Deputy Director of the Lucas County Board of Elections, told the station.