University staff member recognized by President Biden for community service

BGSU

Christina Igl, an Honors Learning Community coordinator, earned presidential recognition for her dedication to volunteering.

Falcon Media staff

Honors Learning Community staff member Christina Igl received recognition from President Joe Biden for her dedication to community service, earning the President’s Volunteer Service Award’s lifetime achievement for completing over 4,000 service hours. President Biden personally signed a certificate and letter for Igl, along with awarding her a medal and pin to commemorate her contributions.

Igl said community service has always been an integral part of her life, and that she hopes her recognition will inspire other students to get involved in their communities. She emphasizes the numerous benefits of civic engagement and its impact on the communities they serve.

Established in 2003 by the President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation, the President’s Volunteer Service Award honors volunteers who play a crucial role in addressing challenging issues in America. Regardless of the administration, the award continues to recognize individuals making a difference through their service.

University President Rodney K. Rogers presented Igl with the award and highlighted the university’s commitment to positively impacting the region, state, nation, and the world through service initiatives. Igl’s role as a coordinator for the Honors Learning Community exemplifies her dedication to creating positive change and inspiring fellow students.

BGSU became a certifying organization for the President’s Volunteer Service Award in 2022, ensuring that eligible students, faculty, and staff who are U.S. citizens meet the requirements. To be eligible, individuals must complete a minimum of 100 service hours in a year. BGSUserves, the university’s online platform, facilitates tracking, finding, and managing volunteer activities.

Igl’s achievement of accumulating 4,000 service hours was largely influenced by her participation in AmeriCorps. She dedicated two years to the College Advising Corps at Holton High School in Michigan, where she guided students and families through college exploration, admissions, financial aid, and career choices. Additionally, she served as a coach, the National Honor Society advisor, and taught English to non-native speakers preparing for the United States citizenship test.

In her role as the Honors Learning Community coordinator since 2021, Igl supports approximately 450 students by managing programming, supervising interns, and leading strategic planning. Civic engagement and encouraging students to become active community members are key focuses of her work.

Igl’s dedication to service led her to pursue a master’s degree in student affairs administration, driven by her desire to assist students in their transition to college and support them in overcoming challenges. As an Honors College advisor for students in the College of Musical Arts and College of Health and Human Services, she provides guidance and support throughout their academic journey.