Get to know Snag, the new delivery service

Q&A with Snag’s staff
[Left] Snag Marketing Manager Kat Ballode in her Snag gear. [Right] The Snag mobile app.

It’s possible students have seen people dressed in all red on electrical scooters while on campus. Those mysterious people are the employees of a new delivery service in Bowling Green called Snag. Snag is a college campus based delivery service that has been growing increasingly popular at BGSU and around the country. Kat Ballode, the marketing manager, gives insight about what Snag is and how it is rising in popularity.

Snag Marketing Manager Kat Ballode in her Snag gear.

Q: What is the overall business model for Snag?

A: Essentially, we are an on-demand convenience store. So, anything you need from snacks or instant meals to pens and notebooks. Any sort of student essential – like energy drinks. Everything like that, we have. So, an order comes in, a packer packs it, a driver picks it up and delivers it in 10 minutes or less.

Q: Is a delivery in 10 minutes or less a guarantee?

A: We try to staff for it – I mean the entire system is built so we can accomplish that. Bowling Green has actually been a little faster recently, which has been really cool. At every school we have an average of ten minutes.

Q: How is Snag able to assure the buyer is of legal age or 21 and older when purchasing alcohol? 

A: Just through ID verification. The drivers can’t drop something off without seeing an ID, so there is still a safety system.

Q: How is Snag different from any other delivery service? How do you guys stand out from companies like Uber Eats and DoorDash?

A: One of the main differentiators is the fact that we have our own dark stores, our own warehouses, that are all within a mile of our delivery range. Our delivery range is where most of our students live. Everything is eco-friendly, our bags are recyclable and we deliver on scooters and bikes, so we don’t use any gasoline or cars.

Q: Where was Snag Founded?

A: Snag was founded at University of California, Santa Barbara. All of our founders went to school there, but one of our co-founders, Jacob, is from Ohio.

Q: How many locations are there around the U.S.?

A: So now there are six universities with Snag on their campus: University of California, Santa Barbara, University of Colorado Boulder, Miami University, The Ohio State University, Ohio University and now Bowling Green just opened.

Q: Is Snag looking to open more locations?

A: Oh definitely. It’s been a massive goal for us to kind of take over everything. Our company is for students, run by students and we are a small start-up where everyone is motivated and passionate about the business, which has been awesome.

Q: Lastly, what is the main way Snag is advertising the business?

A: We use social media, but as for in person, we mainly just focus on being around campus. I think the way that our drivers look really stands out. When we were first starting up, we looked at feedback and data as we were trying to find out what the best way to advertise was. Through this we found one of the first ways people had found out about us was through seeing our drivers on the street. Another thing we love to do is what we call a “hat bomb,” which is when we just go and give out hundreds of hats to people we see. People love the merch. For the brand’s tone, we want to talk to students like they’re students, not like a corporate business. So, we do fun things like memes and casual stories on social media which sets us apart from other companies. This creates a sort of trust and community that people want to be a part of, which has been my favorite part.

Students can download the app here: https://snagdelivery.app/ 

View Comments (1)
$1325
$1500