Falcons Lose First MVC Match 1-0 to Western Michigan

Drake Harlett

The Falcons took on the Western Michigan Broncos on Saturday afternoon, in their first-ever Missouri Valley Conference match in program history. 

Bowling Green, looking to get their first road win of the season, couldn’t find any rhythm in the first 45’ as the Broncos controlled the majority of the first half, outshooting the Falcons 14-2.

Senior goal-keeper Brenden Graves came up huge multiple times for the Orange and Brown, with nine saves in the first half.

Both sides went into halftime not being able to find the opening goal to break the deadlock.

In the second half, fifth-year forward Eli Shope had a chance on a breakaway for the Falcons in the 55’ with a shot that was blocked by Bronco defender Jaylen Shannon.

The Broncos would break through in the 58’ with a goal from forward Dylan Sing, off a cross that was sent in by midfielder Carson Hodgson to give WMU a 1-0 lead. Which would end up being the only goal in the match.

The Falcons had a couple of good opportunities late in the second, but couldn’t find the equalizer. Giving them their second loss of the season. Their first in MVC play.

WMU outshot BG 20-7 on the afternoon, with 11 shots on goal for the Broncos, and four for the Falcons.

Graves finished the match with ten saves, matching his career high for BG.

The Orange and Brown will now travel to Dayton on Tuesday, September 19th to take on Wright State in the battle of the I-75 Cup. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m.

For more information related to the team, follow us on X at @bg_fmsn.