BGSU reinstates hockey head coach Ty Eigner after investigation into hazing allegations

The university is undergoing a Student Code of Conduct investigation into alleged off-campus incident involving unnamed players
Drake Harlett
Head Coach Ty Eigner and the Falcons

Following allegations of a hazing incident involving members of the hockey team, Bowling Green State University released a statement today declaring that an independent investigation found head coach Ty Eigner to have had no affiliation.

The full statement:
For Immediate ReleaseOctober 19, 2023

Media Contact:Michael Bratton[email protected] | 419-372-6349

University update regarding BGSU Hockey program

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio – On behalf of Bowling Green State University, Colleen Rerucha, university spokesperson, issued the following statement regarding an alleged hazing incident at an off-campus event involving members of the BGSU Hockey team:

“The University engaged an external, independent investigator to consider the possible violations of the BGSU Code of Student Conduct. The investigation revealed alleged activities involving student-athletes at an unsanctioned, off-campus event including:

• Underage drinking and provision of alcohol to those underage by older members of the BGSU Hockey Team
  • Conduct with the potential to cause humiliation, physical harm or emotional harm

Based on these findings, the University has notified the involved students of all alleged hazing-related violations of the Code of Student Conduct. The student conduct process is ongoing and no final determination of responsibility has been made.

With respect to employee conduct, the University’s review of the external, independent investigation suggests that no member of the BGSU Hockey staff had any direct or indirect knowledge of the off-campus event. Thus, head coach Ty Eigner has been reinstated. However, because of this incident, BGSU has instituted additional measures for the remainder of this season. Derek van der Merwe, director of athletics, will now assume additional oversight of the hockey program, the coaching staff will now receive additional employment trainings, and the University has increased its day-to-day monitoring to ensure the program is supported.

Hazing is a national issue and has no place on any college campus. BGSU will continue to take all reports seriously and remains committed to a culture of accountability.”

Eigner is reinstated after a month-long administrative leave, which started on September 20 for allegations of off-campus hazing

Following the announcement of the initial suspensions back in September, former BGSU Hockey Forward Austen Swankler entered the transfer portal, citing his reasoning for doing so was due to “cultural issues here and my values.”

The statement said that the investigation found alleged underage drinking, provision of alcohol by older team members and “conduct with the potential to cause humiliation, physical harm or emotional harm” in an off campus incident involving multiple members of the hockey team.

According to the statement, the involved students will now undergo the process of the Student Code of Conduct and no determination of responsibility has yet been made.

Falcon Media will be closely following with more updates as the story develops.