Justice for Stone Foltz

Three year pursuit nearing a potential end
BG 24 Newscast [Feb. 29, 2024]

March 4, 2021, is a day the Foltz family will never forget. 

The night they received a phone call to tell them their son was hospitalized and what began three days of Stone Foltz fighting for his life, as the result of a fraternity hazing ritual at BGSU … a fight he ultimately lost. 

A night Shari and Cory Foltz are still recalling to a judge, in front of several media outlets nearly three years after their son’s death.

“It’s been really hard,” said Sharti Foltz. “I’m so thankful that I have the other two [Stone’s younger siblings, AJ and Jersey] and I have Cory, but it never feels complete.”

Stone Foltz tragically passed away in the hospital March 7, 2021, three days after being blindfolded, taken to a basement and made to consume a 1-liter bottle of 86-proof bourbon by his Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity (“PIKE”) brothers.

Roughly an hour after drinking the liquor, Stone Foltz was driven home by PIKE members and left alone on his couch. He was found with a blood alcohol content of 0.394 g/DL upon being admitted to the hospital and the coroner determined he died from fatal ethanol intoxication during a hazing incident.

One week before the third anniversary of Stone Foltz’s hazing death, his family recounted their experiences in a court hearing, where it was announced they’d be seeking $225.3 million from the final of the original 15 defendants named in lawsuits, Daylen Dunson.

The parents of Stone Foltz, Shari and Cory, sit with their legal team, as the final defendant in their son’s hazing death didn’t appear in court. [Feb. 29, 2024]
(Blake Pierce)
Daylen Dunson, BGSU’s PIKE president at the time of Stone’s hazing death, as well as any legal representation on his behalf were not in attendance.

Attorney Sean Alto, who represents the Foltz estate, says he isn’t surprised by Dunson’s absence.

“We filed an initial complaint, a first amended complaint, a second amended complaint and a third amended complaint and he ignored every single one of them,” said Alto. “He ignored opportunities to respond to letters we sent him. We reached out to his attorneys and he had no interest in participating in this process.”

Dunson is the final of the original defendants named in the lawsuits brought forth by the Stone Foltz Estate.

He has previously been found liable for damages and sentenced to a series of charges in Wood County Courts.

Dunson served 21 days in jail after being convicted for 19 charges related to Foltz’s death: One charge of reckless homicide (Felony, 3rd Degree), one charge of tampering with evidence (Felony 3rd Degree), obstructing justice (Felony, 5th Degree), one charge of obstructing official business (Misdemeanor, 4th degree) seven counts of hazing (Misdemeanors, 4th degree) and six counts of failure to comply with underage alcohol laws.

Daylen Dunson pleaded guilty to reckless homicide, eight counts of misdemeanor hazing, obstructing justice, and other misdemeanor charges. (WTVG)

Alto says they are trying to send a “loud and clear” message against hazing. He also noted in court documents that this case represents a “rare opportunity to show where Ohio stands on hazing.”

“Our lives are changed. They’ll be changed forever,” Shari Foltz said. “All we have is pictures and memories.

The Foltz family emphasizing the impact of their son’s death and how they are coping years later.

“I just feel that every day that goes by I’m going to forget about him,” said Cory Foltz. “And the memory gets so far away.”

After court adjourned on Feb. 29, Alto said he believes the Foltz family and their legal team are nearing the end of this case.

The Foltz estate has until Mar. 29 to send the finalized details to the magistrate, who will release a finalized decision at a later time.

Different types of damages in a civil lawsuit
BG News Issue 20
BG News Issue 20