Mason Cup Quarterfinal Day 2: BGSU, Ferris State, Northern Michigan head home while Lakers stay in St. Paul for a tiebreaker

CCHA

Three teams were eliminated from Mason Cup contention, all three of whom were the underdogs for their respective series. The underdogs’ eight total goals were pummeled by the favorites’ 20 total goals during the second day of play. 

The only series that will continue to a Sunday game three is Lake Superior State and St. Thomas. Bemidji State is guaranteed a home semifinal game while Minnesota State is guaranteed an away semifinal game. 

Ferris State at Bemidji State, BSU 4-0 

After an exciting overtime first game in Bemidji, the Beavers shut out the visiting Ferris State Bulldogs to advance to the Mason Cup semifinals. 

Bemidji State scored three of their four goals in the second period. Eric Pohlkamp scored the second and third goal, both on powerplays and his third of the weekend after Friday night’s game-winner.  

Mattias Sholl was the hero of the game for the Beavers, allowing no goals on 25 saves propelling his team into a home berth in the semifinal round. 

The fate of Ferris State fell to Logan Stein, who allowed four goals in 39 shots with a three-goal second period on only eight total shots on goal. However, he was not helped on the offensive side of the ice with the Bulldogs totaling only 25 shots on goal, three in the third period. 

Bemidji State holds the one-seed, meaning they are guaranteed a home semifinal game in Bemidji come March 16. Their visiting opponents could be either #4 Minnesota State or #7 Lake Superior State. 

Lake Superior State at St. Thomas, UST 4-2 

St. Thomas completed a much-needed win in the second game, bringing the series between them and the Lakers to the only tiebreaker game in the CCHA. 

The Tommies flipped the script, allowing four Friday and scoring four Saturday. Forward and captain Lucas Wahlin scored the second goal of the game assisting on the first and fourth for UST.  

Aaron Trotter of St. Thomas saved 29 shots in the 4-2 victory, allowing only two goals, one with an extra Laker attacker.  

His opponent goaltender, Ethan Langenegger, allowed four goals saving 24 pucks in his two periods of ice time. He was replaced by Easton Hesse to begin the third period who saved seven shots and allowed no goals in nearly 15 minutes. The Lakers played with an extra attacker for the remaining five minutes. 

The tiebreaker game will take place on Sunday at 5:07 p.m. ET after which the winner will advance to the Mason Cup semifinal game. If St. Thomas wins, they will play Michigan Tech. If Lake Superior State wins, they will play Bemidji State, the number one team in the conference. 

Bowling Green at Michigan Tech, MTU 6-5 

Contrary to Friday, Bowling Green put up an extraordinary fight in the second game of the series. 

The game bounced back and forth between the two teams with four lead changes progressing through the three periods. BG led after the first, Michigan Tech after the second and third, sending the Falcons home without a win in the Mason Cup playoffs. 

Falcon sophomore Brett Pfoh had the best night of any skater between the two teams. Pfoh scored two goals with an assist and a +2 rating, narrowly pacing Husky forward Isaac Gordon who had one goal, two assists, and a -1 rating. 

Despite losing, Falcon Christian Stoever outplayed Husky Blake Pietila in the crease, saving 34 shots to Pietila’s 10. Stoever was 2/6 on penalty kills while Pietila was 0/2 while shorthanded. 

BG heads back to school after the first round for the third straight Mason Cup, while MTU moves on to play either St. Thomas away, or Minnesota State at home, dependent on Sunday’s game between Lake Superior State and St. Thomas. 

Northern Michigan at Minnesota State, MSU 6-1 

Northern Michigan started strong, scoring the first goal of the night off Andre Ghantous four minutes into the fresh sheet of ice. 

Minnesota State’s offense then bombarded the Wildcats, scoring one in the first period, the game-winner and an additional goal in the second, and three in the third.  Three players scored two points, Sam Morton and Brian Carrabes with two goals, and Luc Wilson with a goal and assist. 

26 saves and one goal allowed was enough to earn Alex Tracy his second win of the series, allowing no goals in the final 40 minutes and saving 21 shots. 

Northern Michigan hits the road from Mankato Minn. with the lowest total of goals in the CCHA playoffs (2)and losing both games. Minnesota State is guaranteed an away semifinal game but hopes for a Lake Superior State win on Sunday to avoid playing the red-hot Bemidji State Beavers in Bemidji on March 16.