June is Men’s Health Month: Three myths busted

June is Men’s Health Month. Man Therapy Ohio, a free men’s mental health resource website, released three common myths to address the stigma around men’s mental health.

Myth #1

Men can fix their own problems.

Fact: Men are the ultimate boot-strappers. So, it’s only natural that many of them believe they can fix their emotional, behavioral and mental problems themselves. Trying to fix mental disorders like depression and anxiety without professional assistance is like trying to heal a broken femur without a surgeon.

Myth #2

Men should keep their feelings to themselves.

Fact: Just because this myth has been instilled in male culture since the Jurassic Period, doesn’t make it true. It’s very important for guys to talk about their feelings, because keeping them bottled up only makes them worse. It’s time men start sharing their feelings with their friends and family members.

Myth #3

Asking for help is not manly.

Fact: Reaching out for professional support isn’t a weakness; it’s a sign of strength. Therapy isn’t just for people who are depressed or struggling with addiction. Therapy is for anyone who can use someone to talk to besides friends, family members or coworkers.

You can find additional resources for men, as well as support for those looking to help the men in their lives with mental health, on the Man Therapy Ohio website: https://mantherapy.org.

Man Therapy is being promoted throughout Ohio as a website for men. Once on the website, you might be invited to participate in a voluntary, and paid, survey project.

Man Therapy Ohio does not provide crisis response or clinical services. If you are concerned and think you or a loved one may need immediate help, please go to your local emergency department or call the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline by dialing “988” for 24/7, free and confidential support.