Report: ‘Constitutional auditor’ videotaping legal

According to BG Independent Media, city police fielded phone calls about people taking photos and video of people around the community.

Police Lt. Dan Mancuso told the media outlet the people capturing the images and video, sometimes calling themselves “constitutional auditors” or “First Amendment auditors,” commit no crimes when filming people.

“They were asking about the legality of people being able to tape them in businesses,” Mancuso told BG Independent Media. “If you can see it from a public place, you can tape it.”

According to Wikipedia, “Auditors have tended to film or photograph government buildings, equipment, and access control points, as well as any personnel present.” The website further states: “Auditors believe that the movement promotes transparency and open government, while critics have argued that audits are typically confrontational, criticizing some tactics as forms of intimidation and harassment. Many opponents of the tactics and legal understandings of auditors refer to auditors as “frauditors.”

Auditors have made headlines across the state and across the country. In the Dayton area, a self-proclaimed auditor was removed from school grounds near Dayton, including Monroe Elementary School, Bauer Elementary in Miamisburg, West Carrollton High School and Fairmont High School, according to WKEF. Meanwhile, in Las Vegas, a judge denied bail for an auditor you runs the YouTube channel Delete Lawz. Jose “Chille” DeCastro asked for bail while he appealed his sentence of 180 days in jail for resisting arresting and obstructing a police officer, according to Officer.com.