Bonnell completes Falcon tennis roster with transfer

Nicholls State Athletics
Qianyu “Kiki” Liu transfers to the BGSU tennis program from Nicholls State

BGSU head coach Mike Bonnell announced Qianyu “Kiki” Liu will transfer here and join the women’s tennis program this coming season.

Liu spent her freshman season at Nicholls State in Thibodaux, Louisiana and went 7-12 at number one singles and 3-4 in doubles competition. Liu is from Guangdong, China and graduated from Longxiang High School in July of 2023. She was listed as a freshman psychology major on the Nicholls State roster last year but the BGSU news release indicates she plans to major in sports management.

Bonnell said Liu fit the profile he set for this recruiting class.

“Finding dedicated, hard working, coachable, and smart players was the emphasis in this recruiting class,” he said. “She certainly demonstrates these qualities and is looking for a team that will push her.”

He added Liu’s experience will help the Falcons, whose roster last season included four freshmen in nine spots.

“Kiki played number one for Nicholls State last year and knows the rigors of playing high in a D1 lineup,” Bonnell said. “That experience is going to prove invaluable as she helps shape the identity that we want our team to have.”

In the last few weeks, Bonnell announced the addition of three freshmen to the roster, including Lucia Giao from Italy, Sumejja Plicanic from Croatia and Isabella Norris from Westfield, Indiana, in addition to senior transfer Ellie Hire.

“I like the environment, the location and the weather here,” Liu said. “I think BGSU will be my best choice.”