BG Boom fireworks tonight but don’t set off your own

How do fireworks get their colors?

Bowling Green will celebrate Independence Day a day early with the BG Boom Fest and Fireworks this evening at the Wood County Fairgrounds. The free event will run from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. and include music, entertainment, inflatables, interactive games, and a display of historic military vehicles.

Fireworks will begin at dusk and last just about 30 minutes, according to the Bowling Green Chamber of Commerce.

Entertainment will include Crazy Craig. He will provide roaming entertainment for an hour, then present his juggling show ahead of a performance of patriotic music by the Bowling Green Area Community Band, directed by Thom Headley.

Other organizations will host activities for children including a “Dinosaur Dig” in the sand hosted by iStroll Bowling Green; pinwheel, rain stick, and bracelet-making hosted by the Children’s Resource Center; and glow bracelet giveaways from K. Hovnanian Homes.

The Wood County Agricultural Society plans for a dozen food trucks to be on-site, operating from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. or until their food supplies run out. The food truck lineup includes: Big Daddy Sausage and More, Manny’s Munchies, Simply Delish, The Rolling Lemon, The Tamale Guy, Uncle Louie’s Food Truck, Franks Fries, Poppin George’s Kettle Corn, Off the Rails, Liberty Township, and North Coast Deli / Mr. Melon. The State Bank’s GIVES Truck, located next to the Pratt Pavilion, will offer a treat in return for a donation.

Following the show, traffic exiting onto Brim Road will be directed either north or south by police officers. As visitors are leaving the fairgrounds, Poe Road from Brim Road to Haskins Road, will be closed and police officers will be present to help direct traffic.

Those parking in the Poe Road parking lot will be directed to exit onto Haskins Road and will not be permitted to exit onto Poe Road.

BG Independent Media recently posted a reminder that Bowling Green has had a longstanding ordinance banning the sale of and discharge of fireworks. A state law went into effect on July 1, 2022 that allows Ohioans to discharge 1.4G fireworks (but not the more hazardous 1.3G fireworks). However, the law does not supersede local regulations and it is still illegal to discharge or shoot off consumer-grade fireworks in Bowling Green.

How do fireworks get their colors (United States Geological Survey)