BG baseball wins first MAC series

The BG baseball team won its first Mid-American Conference series with two wins and a loss in a weekend road series against the Central Michigan Chippewas.

The Falcons won Friday’s game 1-0 and their first game of the Saturday doubleheader 9-5. They dropped the second game of the double header 5-3.

The first game on Friday was a pitcher’s duel. There were only five hits for each team and one run, which BG’s shortstop, Brian Bien, scored in the fourth inning off of a double from outfielder Andrew Kubuski.

BG pitcher Cody Thorpe pitched 7.1 innings and only let up five hits to the Chippewas. Thorpe earned his first win of the season and currently boasts a 1-2 record on the 2013 campaign.

Relief pitcher Nick Bruns replaced Thorpe in the eighth inning and did not give up any hits. Bruns recorded his second save of the season in the win of the Chippewas.

The second and third games of the series were completely different than the first.

In game two, the Falcons scored two runs in each of the first two innings, giving pitcher Mike Frank breathing room for the time being.

Frank would give up two runs in the second and third inning, making the score 4-2. Frank was pulled in the sixth inning after giving up four unearned runs.

BG would score four runs in the fifth and sixth innings and hold the Chippewas to only five runs during the tilt. Bruns pitched the ninth inning and earned his third save of the season.

In game three, Central Michigan scored three runs in the first inning but could not find the plate for a while after that.

BG was able to tie the game with one run and two runs in the third and fourth innings respectively. However, the Chippewas would put up two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning and kept the Falcons off the board to secure the win.

This marks the first time that BG has won a MAC series and the second series that they have won this year. The first one was the first series of the year at Western Kentucky.

BG will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich. to take on the University of Michigan on Tuesday before preparing for a weekend series at home against MAC foe Eastern Michigan.