BG softball travels to Michigan for midweek game

unknown

Shelby Fink swings at a pitch at a home game this past season. The Falcons will be facing the Michigan Wolverines on Wednesday.

The Falcon softball team will put their four-game win streak to the test as they travel to Big-10 powerhouse Michigan on Wednesday.

“I think we are in a pretty good spot,” coach Shannon Salsburg said. “We are definitely using more kids and going deeper than we ever have before”

The No. 14 Wolverines will be the final opponent the Falcons will see before starting Mid-American Conference play. BG sits atop the MAC with a 12-7 record.

“We always talk about that our season is a marathon not sprint,” Salsburg said. “So we’re going to look at the MAC the same way.”

Michigan sits in third in the Big-10 with a 24-7 record, having played 12 more games than the Falcons. BG has had 11 games canceled due to weather including its home opener.

The 12 games have made a large difference statistically between the two teams. The Wolverines have scored 196 runs compared to the Falcons’ 54. Michigan averages 6.3 runs a game while BG is scoring 2.8.

The Falcons are 5-29 in the all-time series with Michigan, including 0-4 under Salsburg and will play just one game Wednesday.

This past season, the Falcons lost 12-2 in Ann Arbor despite finishing the season with one of the best MAC records.

“We’re going up to win,” Salsburg said. “We obviously have to play a very good game to make that happen but we believe we can.”

The Falcons are coming off a two game sweep of Wright State and look to improve their win streak to five games.

Michigan is coming off a shutout win over Purdue, 9-0. The bats have been hot for UM and the team is hitting for a .314 average.

“I think anytime that you can practice with a team of that caliber and get after them in a game, it’s all good,” Salsburg said.