Fashion group shows off

Beauty, fitness and health are some of the things promoted by members of the on-campus group, Fad Watch, in order to get their message across.

“The world is watching you, so let your fashion radiate universally,” senior La’Nea Barnes, president of the group, said is the group’s message to students.

Fad Watch coordinates events such as fashion shows and workshops, which allow students to participate and focus on a specific topic related to the group’s meaning.

When Barnes joined her freshman year, there wasn’t much involvement, inspiring her to provoke change for the group.

“When I first saw a fashion show, it wasn’t what I was expecting at all,” Barnes said. “So I wanted to make the fashion shows more serious, organized and into more of a production.”

Forming bridges with the Apparel Merchandising and Product Development Department is something Barnes said she is happy the group is doing.

“I like that our organization and the [AMPD department] are becoming more involved with one another because there aren’t many groups on campus linked with the department,” Barnes said.

In the spring, Barnes said they did a fashion show and an event created for beauty.

“We pick a piece and create an event based around it,” Barnes said.

The group also hosts its Annual Charity fall fashion show in September where its accepts donations in money or clothes.

“This fall, we donated the clothes and money to the Boys and Girls Center in Toledo,” said Devin McNeal, vice president. “We usually choose a different charity each year to donate to.”

Fad Watch takes donations of clothes and money to donate for various charities for the fashion shows and workshops they host.

In order for students to participate in their fashion shows, Will Porch, advertising and promotion chair, promotes events through social media.

Friends involved with Fad Watch when Porch first joined thought he would be good for the job and encouraged him to go for it.

“I wanted to help get the word out there using Facebook or Instagram so people know what we do,” Porch said.

Porch explained that when putting together each event, the group meets to discuss different advertising techniques as well as people to help deliver each event.

“We meet with our executive board and discuss what we want people to know about each event put on,” Porch said. “Depending on the event, whether it be for fashion, beauty or health, someone goes to find an [academic adviser] who can best help us put it on.”

McNeal delegates tasks and oversees the show as a whole to make sure it runs smoothly.

“I really enjoy fashion so I like putting together the shows to see the creativity and trends,” McNeal said. “I like being able to participate in the fashion shows.”

Fad Watch will be hosting a farewell school party and a workout workshop for students that are still in progress, Barnes said.

“Pizza and drinks will be provided for the farewell party,” Barnes said. “For the workout workshop, we will be at the [Student Recreation Center] for the Zumba or working out for 30 minutes to promote health.”

The dates and times are to be announced.