Falcons keep Musketeers scoreless, Wright State travels to BG Wednesday

Brandon Howard hits a pitch in a game earlier this season against Eastern Michigan. He went three-for-five on Tuesday against Xavier University.

The BG baseball team did not commit any errors in the team’s 9-0 victory against the Xavier University Musketeers in Cincinnati on Tuesday.

The Falcons recorded 13 hits in the win against the Musketeers, three of which came from second baseman Brandon Howard.

Howard played an essential part of the team’s victory on the offensive side of the plate. He recorded three hits in his five at-bats, scored three runs and one runs-batted-in.

First baseman T.J. Losby recorded a team-high three RBI against Xavier. He totaled two RBI on his third home run of the year in the ninth inning. Losby also scored two runs and recorded two hits in his three official at-bats. He was walked once in the first inning.

Six of BG’s nine runs came in the top of the fourth inning, the same inning when the team also recorded seven hits. Xavier committed the game’s only error during BG’s shutout victory.

With its win on Tuesday, the Falcons continue to boost their record to 14-20 while Xavier falls to 21-18.

BG has won seven of its last eight games.

The Falcons return to action today as they host the Wright State University Raiders in a midweek, non-conference game.

Wright State currently holds an 18-18 record out of conference and a 6-6 record in Horizon League action.

The Raiders have won seven of their past 10 games including a 29-18 combined performance in the Joe Nuxhall Classic at the University of Cincinnati. Wright State defeated the Miami University RedHawks 10-2 and the University of Cincinnati Bearcats 19-16 in the final game of the tournament.

Wright State started the season with three straight wins against three Atlantic-10 Conference members— Temple, La Salle and Dayton.

However, the Raiders’ luck ran out when they traveled to Clemson, S.C., and got swept in a three-game series against the Clemson University Tigers of the Atlantic Coast Conference. After its series with Clemson, Wright State traveled to Los Angeles for a three game series against the University of California-Los Angeles Bruins but the Raiders were swept again.

The Raiders snapped its seven-game losing streak with a 7-6 win against the Bradley University Braves on March 9.

Since April 1, the Wright State Raiders are 9-4 with wins against the Otterbein University Cardinals, the University of Cincinnati Bearcats, the Penn State University Nittany Lions, the Miami University RedHawks, the University of Illinois-Chicago Flames, the University of Dayton Flyers and the Shawnee State University Bears.

First pitch between the Falcons and the Raiders is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Steller Field.