Football schedule provides new challenges, optimism for fall

Falcon+football
Falcon football

The 2013 BG football season will showcase some new and familiar faces lining up on the opposite side of the football.

Three of the four out-of-conference opponents on the Falcons’ schedules will be the first meetings between the two squads.

The 2013 football season starts on Thurs., Aug. 29, when the Falcons host the University of Tulsa Golden Hurricane at the Doyt. Tulsa is the only non-conference opponent that BG has played before, however, this will be the first time that Tulsa will visit BG.

The Falcons are 0-3 against the Golden Hurricane in the three total meetings between the two teams. The first meeting between the schools was in 1989, when the Falcons travelled to Tulsa, Okla., and were defeated 45-10.

The next of the three matchups would not occur for another 19 years when the two teams were matched up in the 2008 GMAC Bowl in Mobile, Ala. The Falcons were defeated 63-7 in the bowl game.

The last meeting came in 2010 when the Falcons traveled to Tulsa, but were defeated 33-20. In its three meetings against Tulsa, BG has given up 141 points and scored 37.

This past year, the Golden Hurricane went 11-3 including going 7-1 in conference.

The Golden Hurricane went on to represent Conference USA’s West Division in the conference championship game and defeated UCF for a second time to earn an automatic birth to the Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tenn.

The second out-of-conference opponent for the Falcons will be the Indiana University Hoosiers from the Big Ten.

The 2012 Hoosier football team showed improvement from the 2011 season by going 4-8, compared to the 1-11 record the team earned that year.

Indiana started the 2012 season with two wins against Indiana State and Massachusetts-Amherst, before dropping five-straight. The five straight losses included MAC opponents Ball State.

Indiana will be the first Big Ten Conference opponent for BG since it lost to Michigan 65-21 in 2010.

Murray State Racers, who will face the Falcons on Sept. 21 and will be the last non-conference home game for BG.

Murray State is a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) member and competes in the Ohio Valley Conference.

The Racers went 5-6 in their 2012 campaign, which started with a 69-3 loss against Florida State.

After the third week, the Racers or an opposing team scored 40 or more points in every game.

The Racers defeated Tennessee Tech University 70-35, Austin Peay University 52-14, Tennessee State University 49-28 and Southeast Missouri State University 42-35.

BG’s final non-conference game is against SEC member Mississippi State.

The Bulldogs started the 2012 campaign with seven straight wins. Mississippi State scored a minimum of 27 points and let up a maximum of 31 points in those