BG capitalized on Ball State errors in the sixth inning

The BG baseball team topped the Ball State University Cardinals 7-5 in a mid-week matchup in Muncie, Ind., on Tuesday.

The Falcons started the game with a three up, three down first inning, but Ball State right fielder Sean Godfrey made the most of his first at-bat with a solo home run off of BG pitcher Brett Fitzwater in the bottom half of the inning.

Both of the teams went silent during the second and third innings, in which there was one hit between the two teams.

BG entered the top of the fourth inning down 1-0 but the score did not stay that way for long. The Falcons put two runs on the board after a pair of errors by the Cardinals. The two runs scored during a hitless inning.

Ball State infielder Billy Wellman started the bottom of the fourth with a single to right field, which was followed by a two-run homer by pitcher T.J. Weir that put the Cardinals ahead of the Falcons 3-2. BSU catcher Tyler Curry hit a double to left field and advanced to third on a ground ball to second base. Curry scored on a sacrifice fly ball from infielder Brandon Estep.

The Falcons ended the Cardinals’ three-run fourth inning with a fly out by shortstop Elbert DeVarie. Ball State came out of the fourth inning with a two run lead and BG would not return the favor in the fifth inning.

The visiting Falcons started the sixth inning with a two-run deficit but would come out tied at four runs with the Cardinals. Right fielder Jesse Rait scored the team’s third run after hitting a single to right field, advancing to second base on a hit batsman and to third base on a wild pitch. Rait would score after Ball State pitcher Tyler Jordan walked infielder Matthew Pitzulo with the bases loaded.

BG outfielder Patrick Lancaster scored on a grounder to first base from infielder Logan Walker. The inning ended with a ground out by infielder Brandon Howard but the Falcons ended the sixth inning tied at four with the Cardinals.

The Falcons would pick up three more runs and five hits in the top of the seventh inning. Ball State would score one more run in the bottom of the eighth inning, but the team would not score any in the bottom of the ninth and lose 7-5 to the visiting team.

BG boosts its record to 8-19 and Ball State falls to 14-15 on the season.

The Falcons will travel to Toledo this weekend for a three-game series with the University of Toledo Rockets on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.